rw86347

My First Project ... Backpack

Nice, did you use a pattern or is this one of your own design?

No I just winged it. I know I wanted the back of the back pack to be the size of my mac book pro. The side pockets the size of my power supply and the front pocket the size of my ipad. I also figured 4-5 inches deep would look proportional. In terms of the straps I used my old backpack as a pattern. making then the same length and right distance apart.

Very nice for winging it. Great job! What kind of leather did you use?

Great job. I'm in awe of the creativity on this site!

Very nice for winging it. Great job! What kind of leather did you use?

Well there were two leathers I fell in love with at Tandy. A burgundy latigo and this oil tanned leather. I actually prefered the latigo, but it was 12 oz which worried me, and it was $200. This leather just felt great in my hand, soft yet a little stiff. Moreover it was only $100. Next I am going to do a duffle bag. I think I am going to buy the same leather again.

Congradulations other than the thickness of the leather you have achived your own personal version of a Saddle Back leather bag . Very well done ! This fits in the last forever bags catagory . This was indeed time well spent . Bill

Hi Country. I just recently finished a messenger bag in chromium tanned and was going to make some saddle bag carry alls in oil tanned I saw I just loved. Very similar to this. But oil tanned bleeds until it wear out. I got several opinions on it before deciding against it. You backpack is beautiful but was hoping I could save you some time and money on your duffle bag. Cheryl

I think for the duffle bag. I will create 12X12 ends with 1 inch diameter corners. On the front I want three straps, and one strap on each side. Each strap will have silver belt buckles. Then between the front two buckles I will create two pockets (6x6) which are laminated 6 oz leather and hair on leather.

Nice work.....I have some of that same leather.....hmmm?