OK so I have gotten a few books and been searching around for some info on this and cant seem to get a decent full answer.

I know that when you get your tooling and everything done that is when you dye your work. Learned that you then buff out your finished product (something I wish I new for my last attempt lol). This will give it a decent shine and prepare it for your next finish or wax.

Now this is where I am a bit confused. After the dye process you want to add a wax or do you just use the finishers. I used some snowseal on my last project and then sealed it neat lac. Now could I just use the snowseal or some other wax and be done with it. Or do I really need the neat lac or similer finish on the leather.

The only problem I had with the way I did it was on the strap for my belt watch project the neatlac started peeling off. Figure it was from it being on a strap and not getting prepared properly before finishing.

Thanks for any input. I must say this leather working stuff allthough somewhat hard to pick up at first is very fun, just wish I had more time to do it.

Generally, I just use Neatlac. I just take a little piece of sheepskin, trim the hair down to 1/4" or thereabouts with a pair of scissors, brush it off on my jeans to get the loose fibers off, and dampen it with Neatlac, then rub the Neatlac into the leather. I used to use the spray kind, but I had a lot of trouble with it flaking off; then, thanks to this forum actually, I discovered that 1) aerosol sprays are great but they don't really work themselves into the leather too well, and 2) I was using waaaaay too much. You don't want to underapply, but you don't want to overapply either, and getting it worked into the leather is important.

And then if I'm using an antique, I apply the antique after the NeatLac, wipe off the excess, let dry, and then apply TanKote over top the same way I did the NeatLac.

You can use any number of products, there are a bunch out there, just find what works for you.

Edited by chocolateducttape

Thanks a bunch, looks like I was doing a few things wrong. I didnt work in the neatlac either so Ill have to try that next time and I am sure I put too much on also.

THanks for the input.