oakleaves

Diy Leather Conditioner

I currently use Montana Pitch blend was a primary leather conditioner and protection with a second formula of pitch blend melted with some extra wax for a final wax top coat with great success but find it to be rather expensive and am interested in doing more for myself. Basically what I am wondering is has any of you fine folks come up with a mix for a similar cream or liquid mix of your own formulation that works? Some thoughts I have are that I like working with beeswax and pine pitch as both have many and obvious benefits in working with and protecting leather and both I have used in a number formulations with great reliability and ease, oils are an area of difficulty however as I dislike neatsfoot oil as I have had issues with its results on my projects in the past, mink oil is fine by me though some have issues with it (it is however hard to find as a cheap pure ingredient), and finally, vegetable or mineral oils I know nothing of for their use with leather care (I would prefer to avoid petrochemical products). Does anyone have any experience with this topic especially the use of vegetable oils with leather? Also, one other idea is the use of lanolin but I have never used the this before and don't know its consistency or effects. Thanks to all in advance.~Oakleaves

I currently use Montana Pitch blend was a primary leather conditioner and protection with a second formula of pitch blend melted with some extra wax for a final wax top coat with great success but find it to be rather expensive and am interested in doing more for myself. Basically what I am wondering is has any of you fine folks come up with a mix for a similar cream or liquid mix of your own formulation that works? Some thoughts I have are that I like working with beeswax and pine pitch as both have many and obvious benefits in working with and protecting leather and both I have used in a number formulations with great reliability and ease, oils are an area of difficulty however as I dislike neatsfoot oil as I have had issues with its results on my projects in the past, mink oil is fine by me though some have issues with it (it is however hard to find as a cheap pure ingredient), and finally, vegetable or mineral oils I know nothing of for their use with leather care (I would prefer to avoid petrochemical products). Does anyone have any experience with this topic especially the use of vegetable oils with leather? Also, one other idea is the use of lanolin but I have never used the this before and don't know its consistency or effects. Thanks to all in advance.~Oakleaves

If it doesn't have to be REALLY waterproof, you can't find a better product than Bick's #4

pete

For veg tan leather you can't go past cod liver oil and tallow, it's the traditional currier's formula.