Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

Glue recommendation for heavy-duty velcro (3M Dual Lock)

I'm about to purchase some non-adhesive heavy-duty velcro (3M Dual Lock) strips. One side of the strip will be stitched onto leather cases. The other side will have to be glued onto a smooth hard plastic (polypropylene?) case.

Do you think Dual 88 contact cement would be enough, or is there another type of glue I should try? I've never tried 3M VHB (very high bond) double-sided adhesive tapes, which I think is used on a variety of the adhesive-backed 3M Dual Lock strips.

I should have a surplus of this Dual Lock, if anyone is interested.

Ed

I'm about to purchase some non-adhesive heavy-duty velcro (3M Dual Lock) strips. One side of the strip will be stitched onto leather cases. The other side will have to be glued onto a smooth hard plastic (polypropylene?) case.

Do you think Dual 88 contact cement would be enough, or is there another type of glue I should try? I've never tried 3M VHB (very high bond) double-sided adhesive tapes, which I think is used on a variety of the adhesive-backed 3M Dual Lock strips.

I should have a surplus of this Dual Lock, if anyone is interested.

Ed

I would definitely try VHB if you have some. Polypropylene is VERY VERY hard to glue especially if it is structural. Same thing goes for polyethylene. It has very little surface energy. You need a glue specially formulated for this type of material. I saw this stuff recently. It is worth a try.

http://superglue.supergluecorp.com/15104.html

I have some 3M adhesive that is designed specially for polys. Maybe 4475. I just don't recall and the glue is in a box in the shop. Check the 3M distributors' websites. They have what you want.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

I would definitely try VHB if you have some. Polypropylene is VERY VERY hard to glue especially if it is structural. Same thing goes for polyethylene. It has very little surface energy. You need a glue specially formulated for this type of material. I saw this stuff recently. It is worth a try.

http://superglue.supergluecorp.com/15104.html

I have some 3M adhesive that is designed specially for polys. Maybe 4475. I just don't recall and the glue is in a box in the shop. Check the 3M distributors' websites. They have what you want.

Thanks, Bree. I was getting set to make some compromises.

I've decided to get a yard of non adhesive 6" wide Dual Lock (SJ3780/black) for stitching to leather and three yards of 2" wide VHB adhesive backed Dual Lock for attaching to the polypropylene case (SJ3550/black or SJ3560 clear). I contacted Pelican Cases and was told that their cases are indeed made of polypropylene and to adhere foam cushioning they use 3M 76 Spray adhesive.

Here is some info on the adhesive backed Dual Lock:

http://www.itapestore.com/index.asp?PageAc...ustom&ID=23

Ed

The only thing I can add is if you can or are able to sand or grind just the area that your glueing too. This will give a much better surface area for the glue to hold with.

Thanks, Bree. I was getting set to make some compromises.

I've decided to get a yard of non adhesive 6" wide Dual Lock (SJ3780/black) for stitching to leather and three yards of 2" wide VHB adhesive backed Dual Lock for attaching to the polypropylene case (SJ3550/black or SJ3560 clear). I contacted Pelican Cases and was told that their cases are indeed made of polypropylene and to adhere foam cushioning they use 3M 76 Spray adhesive.

Here is some info on the adhesive backed Dual Lock:

http://www.itapestore.com/index.asp?PageAc...ustom&ID=23

Ed

3M 76 is very unlikely to work well. 3M 72 or 90 would be much stronger on poly. But I have to warn you even the very strong 3M 90 isn't going to give you a great bond. I have 76 and 90 and I think both will delaminate fairly quickly.

I think the VHB has a reasonable chance to hold and some of the special Scotch Welds. That superglue link is worth looking into. There some very power super glue mixtures out there. And this one is supposed to be specially formulated for poly.

When I get a chance I will try to find my special 3M poly glue which I got for bonding stuff to my polyethylene sea kayak.

3M 76 is very unlikely to work well. 3M 72 or 90 would be much stronger on poly. But I have to warn you even the very strong 3M 90 isn't going to give you a great bond. I have 76 and 90 and I think both will delaminate fairly quickly.

I think the VHB has a reasonable chance to hold and some of the special Scotch Welds. That superglue link is worth looking into. There some very power super glue mixtures out there. And this one is supposed to be specially formulated for poly.

When I get a chance I will try to find my special 3M poly glue which I got for bonding stuff to my polyethylene sea kayak.

Thanks, Bree. I should have my Pelican case in two or three weeks. Once I get the case, I'll know for sure about going forward with modifications for a rolling office, at which time I'll spring for the dual lock. It's about $120 for about six linear yards (3 yards mated) of 2" tape.

It's good to know about that super glue, in case the VHB-backed dual lock doesn't stay put'

Ed

Thanks, Bree. I should have my Pelican case in two or three weeks. Once I get the case, I'll know for sure about going forward with modifications for a rolling office, at which time I'll spring for the dual lock. It's about $120 for about six linear yards (3 yards mated) of 2" tape.

It's good to know about that super glue, in case the VHB-backed dual lock doesn't stay put'

Ed

VHB is really strong stuff designed for bonding to low surface energy materials. It's tenacious as hell. I had some that I had to remove and it was a tough row to hoe to get that stuff off. It is very expensive but the best stuff usually is.

Good luck!

;););)