Sign in to follow this  
Tkleather1

how to cover oxbows?

I was curious what the best way to cover oxbows is? I have messed around with it and I just cant figure out how to do it. If anyone could help and either give me a play by play or point me in the right direction I would sure appreciate it. I think that most of my problem is I usually make it way more complicated than it really is. I would like to cover them in rawhide and a simple lace braid on the outside but I am open to all that anyone can share.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

There are some guys on here who can tell you a lot more than i can but hopefully I can get you started. If you have Al Stohlmans saddle series he has step by step instructions on covering them in leather. Rawhide is not going to be that much different. You might get a little more stretch out of the rawhide when its wet than leather. You are going to need two pieces of rawhide and one piece of leather, for the tread, for each stirrup. Measure the diameter of the stirrup and cut your rawhide where the edges would just meet or slightly shorter(you will get some stetch and you want them tight) Measure for length. The two pieces can be a couple of inches apart at the bottom as the tread will cover this part. Cut the top long enough that you can trim it to stirrup width and fold it over the top punch a hole for the bolt to go thru. Punch hole down the side and lace them up and put the treads on and your done. Hope this makes some kind of sense. If anyone wants to disagree you won't hurt my feelings.

Good luck,

CW