Tracym

Core Size And # Of Strands Calculation

I have a request for a thick dog collar, about 8mm.

It seems like even 8 strands over 550 paracord (if that would even work) might not be thick enough.

Is there some calculation as to what I might need? And any ideas for a core?

I can't really go to 1/4" lace, as it has to be PINK lol

Thanks!

If you're looking for many different colors in lace, try knottylinda.com It's out of Canada and she has quite a few colors and possible sizes of kangaroo lace.

I am familiar with her, thank you though. The pink lace does not appear to be available in 1/4". So it will have to be 1/8" for the project.

You could buy a pink hide and then cut your own lace from that. That's what I'd do.

B...

Oh nooooo lol. I've never cut lace, have been avoiding it so far hahaa. I also don't think the nice pink is available in hides. I got some good pink stuff from Packer, but I think it was a special run - as far as I know there isn't more available. Maybe Springfield would have one (but it's horrid stuff). Kind of expensive to buy a whole hide for one dog collar too... So I figured my best bet was a multi-strand braid. But I'm not sure how many...

Tracy, For core size subtract 4 times the thickness of your lace from the finished diameter you want ( you get 2 thicknesses of lace on each side where your braid crosses over). For lace width. take the circumference of your core & divide by the number of strands you want to use (in your case 8), that will tell you how wide your lace needs to be. For core you can use almost anything the right size, for a collar probably a piece of rope the right size or sewing machine belting. Good Luck, Buck

When cutting strands for whips, I measure the diameter of the core I will be plaiting over. Then I multiply that number by 4. I then divide that number by the number of strands that I will be plaiting with. That finals number is the width needed to cover the core.

For example:

1. Core diameter is 20mm, 20mm x 4 = 80.

2. 8 Strands need to cover the core, 80 / 8 = 10

3. Strands width needs to be 10mm

Thanks, I try to avoid the Birdsall lace though, I prefer Packer.

I have got this mostly figured out - I have 1/4" core, and a 12 strand braid with 1/8" lace looks good.

Now, I need to figure out how long to cut the strands. A basic 4-strand braid I cut approx. length of braid x 1.5. This I can tell I'm going to need more - is length of braid x 2 likely to be enough? Or even more?

Edited by Tracym