scottishscott

How To Get This Stitch?

Hello good folks out there. Got a question for you. I'm posting a photo of what I am trying to accomplish, but with everything on saddle stitching, the thread line seems much thicker and bulky. I'm looking to create the sewn line on the wallet in the picture. It's a picture I got from Back Room Leather It's tight and small. This is for hand stitching custom fitted mocassins. Any help would be greatly appreciated

post-47274-0-38853200-1386629438_thumb.j

Scott, just looks like to me they used a thinner thread and smaller needle, it's still saddle stitched. Cheryl

Scott, just looks like to me they used a thinner thread and smaller needle, it's still saddle stitched. Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. That's what I was thinking , but I wanted to make sure. One the wallet the stitching does not have an angle or so it seems. Is it possible to do a straight line saddle stitch using straight awl?

I have saddle stitched, well guess you can't call it that because it's not the correct way to do it, but a straight line by not using two needles, but rather one and going around the project twice. You don't seem to get the same angled look. Try it that way and see if you can get straight stitches. Cheryl

I have saddle stitched, well guess you can't call it that because it's not the correct way to do it, but a straight line by not using two needles, but rather one and going around the project twice. You don't seem to get the same angled look. Try it that way and see if you can get straight stitches. Cheryl

Cheryl, I took a pic of the stitch my mocassins have. It's an overlapped seam that has been skived. These were done on a machine ,but the ones I am making I want to hand sew. I guess my original question should have been, How do I get this type of stitch with hand stitching? LOL

post-47274-0-75762900-1386641223_thumb.j

you want a zig zag stitch hand sewing? Well you could do it but I don't know of any special technique, LOL just a lot of tedious work. Cheryl

you want a zig zag stitch hand sewing? Well you could do it but I don't know of any special technique, LOL just a lot of tedious work. Cheryl

It looks more like a straight stitch. I know the guy who made these and he machine sews everything. I am now starting to make these, but I want to hand sew everything. I might just give it a try on some scrap and see how it turns out. I'll let you know.

I don't see zig zag.

Scott, use a round awl, make sure your stitching points are marked. Awl, then saddle stitch as normal. Keep your stitching process the same. If you insert the right needle first... do that all the way around. Pull tight. The round awl will help prevent the angle.

Thanks Scott, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Cheryl

I don't see zig zag.

Scott, use a round awl, make sure your stitching points are marked. Awl, then saddle stitch as normal. Keep your stitching process the same. If you insert the right needle first... do that all the way around. Pull tight. The round awl will help prevent the angle.

Thanks Sylvia. Actually, I thought about making my own awl with a harness needle and then I found out there is actually a 1/32" awl for hobbist. It looks promising. Plus, it's straight 1/32". It ought to make some beautiful round holes that are tight and will close great. I'm going tomorrow to go have a look at them.

Thanks Scott, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Cheryl

Sure thing Cheryl. Thanks.

Making your own harness needle awl would be fine exercise in making your own tool to meet a need. I say go for it. If all fails you can buy your hobby awl.