TheShiek2008

Consew 206Rb-5....

I have a Consew 206rb-5 sewing machine. It will sew through pretty much anything but I was told to use wax thread to sew heavy leather....I am trying to sew a zipper onto thick leather. I was also told no wax thread through the machine. I guess my question is will regular thread and bobbin work? Will it keep everything together? Amy help/advice with sewing is appreciated.

I'm anxious to know about this, too, because I have an earlier version of the same machine.

I have a Consew RB-5

138 Bonded nylon is best thread for leather I have used. The machine will sew 1/4" masterfully. In some leathers it will go through 3/8".

You can use the smaller threads such as: 92 or 69 for some lighter work. I like the 92 in wallets. I have never tried to use waxed thread but I would guess it will "Gum Up" the needle when the wax begins to melt.

ferg

It will require a different size needle and some tweaking on the tension when you switch thread size. If your machine is in good condition and adjusted properly you will have no problem.

ferg

The machine is almost brand new. Only problem I have is if I slow the speed of the machine down to far it seems like it loses all its torque. The motor just hums until I bump the hand wheel then it will start. It happens no matter what material I am sewing. I have heard I can change the pulley wheels to get more torque and slow the machine down. Ever heard of this and where I can purchase something like this?

Three options

1. Put a smaller pulley on the motor, you may be able to get down to 1.75"

2. Get a servo motor with gear reducer built in, SewPro from Toledo Industrial, see banner ads at the top

3. Install a pulley speed reducer set

There are numerous threads here about these options. Do a search for them.

Most motors lose torque when slowed down, so you need to do one or more of the above.

Tom

I use 207 bonded nylon up top and 138 in the bobbin all the time with no problems. I have even used 207 in the bobbin but you end up changing bobbins pretty often.

Agree completely with northmount especially about combining the options. Gear reduced servo with a 2" max motor pulley. One of these days I will add a speed reducer to mine also.

I agree with Ferg and Tom. The way we set up leather machines is with the servo motor and the a speed reducer. The only time we use a motor with the built in gear reduction is for very light weight leather, 6 oz. tops, anything heavier(in my opinion) needs a speed reducer, it ads the torque you need as well as reducing the speed. The beauty of the servo motor is the ability to change speeds easily. In the old days(sorry old timers), you would have a clutch motor that would require you to use a larger or smaller pulley on the motor to adjust the speed, then adjust the length of the belt. It was a hassle and you still would not have the control you have today. By the way, I'm an old timer too! Steve