Sign in to follow this  
whinewine

Has anyone used clear Krylon as a leather finish?

Has anyone ever used clear Krylon as a finish on leather, AND WHAT ARE THE RESULTS (good, bad, or whatever)?

I have been experimenting with an imitation gold leaf in liquid form to color the raised carved areas. It's a mineral-spirits based fluid recommended NOT to be sprayed, only brushed on. It's a nice, bright, gold-leaf looking finish, but I'm looking to coat it with a clear finish (for obvious reasons). I did a sample & sprayed it with spray neatlac, also did another sample & sprayed it with super shene (Fiebing's version of it in the spray can). I wasn't satisfied with either result: the gold tended to run in a very few areas while, overall, the drum-dyed leather showed through underneath the gold.

I was curious if the Krylon clear finish (essentially a plastic finish) would give me better results. All help & input is appreciated. Thanks.

russ

Russ, for my masks I needed a clear sealer. I tried Krylon Matte Finish #1311 which I use regularly on wood and resin, and it turned white on the leather. Bad news! Then I tried Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss #1301. It works great on leather, but beware that it is gloss. I then tried Krylon Crystal Clear Matte, and it turned white!

Apparently the flattening paste (as I understand it) that is added to clear lacquer is turning white on contact with leather. I don't understand why, as it works fine on wood, but it does. So stick to gloss and you'll be fine.

................................ Then I tried Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss #1301. It works great on leather, but beware that it is gloss. I then tried Krylon Crystal Clear Matte, and it turned white!

Apparently the flattening paste (as I understand it) that is added to clear lacquer is turning white on contact with leather. I don't understand why, as it works fine on wood, but it does. So stick to gloss and you'll be fine.

Tom,

What happens when the mask flexes? Does the finish crack?

Thanks,

Regis

I have used Krylon clear with no troubles whatsoever. But it WAS on non-flexible/minimally flexible pieces.

Whinewine.....Try" Fiebings Leather Sheen", it is designed to be used on leather, and it will work on a flexiable surface.

Tom,

What happens when the mask flexes? Does the finish crack?

Thanks,

Regis

No, it's not thick enough to crack. Flexes just fine.

Thank you all! I used the Krylon clear (gloss) this morning: no runs, no bleed through- the gold color shines beautifully.

I've also used the #1313 Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Satin Finish, and as long as I don't spray it on too heavily, it has seemed to work great.

L'Bum

I use Krylon Matt finish on my pictures. If you don't put it on heavy, it works great. Too much does turn white. I couldn't tell you if it flexes, though, since I don't often flex my pictures!

Just yer pectorals wrestling those yaks!

Just yer pectorals wrestling those yaks!

Yes, yak wrestling requires a lot of fexing!

I know many mask makers who use Krylon products to finish their pieces. Personally, I find that if a mask is going to flex alot it the finish *will* "break" and spiderweb eventually. It's good to inform customers how to properly store their masks. Little thin masks ("lone ranger style") often end up bent up in drawers, or "rolled", which can wreck a poly-whatever finish. At least the customer can't say you never warned 'em!

I am not all-against Krylon- I use their products on alot of things. On leather, it's economical, fast and reliable. *However*, spraypaints of any kind can dry out the leather and make it terribly brittle.

My masks tend to be single piece half-face jobs. I use dyes overlaid with acrylic. I tend to use finishes like atom wax- they harden a little, but still retain some "give".

frauleinsmall.jpg

post-6993-1219715289_thumb.jpg