Dom

Celtic Leather Armour

Here is the last armour I made (God, make this one be the last one!)

100827061728220293.png

Edited by Dom

Dude, with the quality and beauty of this armor. Why would you want it to be the last one and deprive people of owning such a work of art?

Aside from the fact that there seems to be a lot of tooling on this thing. Just the background is extensive work...

hopefully it won't be the last!

Wow! Well done!

Now that is cool Dom you should be mighty proud of that, if my partner had something like that he would probably wear it everywhere.

Where did you get the designs? It looks a lot like Book Of Kells kind of art. Very impressive, by the way.

just got one thing to say , WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!

where did you find theidea and pattern? is it historical authentic?

Edited by gunter

Where did you get the designs? It looks a lot like Book Of Kells kind of art.

I designed the motives myself to fit in the different areas.

My Idea is to have a main motive that can be seen from a distance, and other ones that you can appreciate when your near.

The customer showed me a simple design for the round panel (he had it on a belt bucke) but I found it was too plain so I added a thin line.

post-6849-035079100 1282984170_thumb.jpg

The rest was inspired by celtic and viking examples but not copies (you won't find a pattern that fits so you have to design your own).

An example of a self designed pattern for a spaulder (7-8 hours of design).

post-6849-045817100 1282984998_thumb.jpg

and the result :

post-6849-045904400 1282984766_thumb.jpg

Very impressive piece of work!

My God...that's FANTASTIC WORK!

How long did it take to create [total]?

I designed the motives myself to fit in the different areas.

My Idea is to have a main motive that can be seen from a distance, and other ones that you can appreciate when your near.

The customer showed me a simple design for the round panel (he had it on a belt bucke) but I found it was too plain so I added a thin line.

post-6849-035079100 1282984170_thumb.jpg

The rest was inspired by celtic and viking examples but not copies (you won't find a pattern that fits so you have to design your own).

An example of a self designed pattern for a spaulder (7-8 hours of design).

post-6849-045817100 1282984998_thumb.jpg

and the result :

post-6849-045904400 1282984766_thumb.jpg

Interesting! I figured you designed it to fit. Thanks for the insight!

wow very nice work some of the best armor i have seen in a while. As a dabbler in armor i wouldn't mind seeing how you constructed it. Are the edges sewn by hand or a machine? That spaulder is a nice piece of work also.

Edited by wildland

The borders are hand sewn - I don't know the total time it tooks to do the whole armour but it's between 30 and 50 hours.

Amazing work!!! What background tool did you use?

Beautiful work :thumbsup:

I love you eye for the details and the fine finished egdes...I would love to see more of your work:clapping:

do you have a picture of the back of it?

The customer didn't want decorations on the back - because it would have been too long (I still added a small one)

post-6849-093557100 1283281425_thumb.jpg

The backround tools are A105 and A104

I am not much of an armor person but that is awe inspiring. That is some of the most fantastic work I have seen. Where would one who has never made armor before get at pattern? Are there any good books etc.?

Edited by TN leather

Dom I'm not into armor and know absolutely nothing about it. However I think your workmanship here is excellent. Everything is smooth and finished nicely, your designs are balanced and well tooled. I think this is really nice work! Congratulations on a great job!

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Can you show some construction details like how the belly / midsection peice is attached? Also does the shoulder peice (spadula) attach? if so how? how did you form the shoulder?

Is chest double layered? does it have padding?

Sorry for all the questions but I am now going to try to build one in the theme of my favorite college football team. (you know to wear to the game.....hehee)

Edited by TN leather

Great Job,

wish I dear to start such a big project.

That has to be the most amazing piece of armor I've ever seen!

Fantastic piece! Would love to see more.

Awesome work man! I actually like the back being plain except for the small knotwork at the neck. I think otherwise it would be too busy. Good job.

Andy

Dom,

Whoa! Somehow this slipped past me. I don't know a lot about this type of work but can certainly admire the workmanship, design and layout. This is top notch work. The quality of the work is excellent. You designs flow well and the back is clean and refreshing and is well set off by the small amount of tooling at the neck. That is an understated but powerful statement on the back of the armor. Great designs that are well balanced, executed, tooled and finished. Hats off!

Next time you might share a few more pictures up front as the interest in this project was overwhelming

Once again...great job.

Regards,

Ben