awnova

Medieval Chamfron

Hello everyone!

A few weeks ago I became enamored with the idea of trying to make leather look like metal... my first project in this direction is a leather chamfron inspired by 14th and 15th century horse armor. I had a ton of fun making it and my horses look great in it!

post-1120-0-48182200-1431370308_thumb.jp

post-1120-0-20481800-1431370315_thumb.jp

Hello awnova, this is great looking, but please do not tease us and tell us how you achieved the metal looking effect.

Hello awnova, this is great looking, but please do not tease us and tell us how you achieved the metal looking effect.

Sorry Jazzman, I didn't mean to leave you in stitches! I used black stain, several coats. Then once dry, I applied (sparingly) a silver wax coating that I found at the local hobby store for highlighting picture frames and such. Once that was done, I buffed it and applied a coat of stain sealer (can't remember the name right now). The main trick was to make sure the grid pattern was deep enough, and that the black stain reached into the bottoms of the cuts.

Stunningly beautiful!

Sorry Jazzman, I didn't mean to leave you in stitches! I used black stain, several coats. Then once dry, I applied (sparingly) a silver wax coating that I found at the local hobby store for highlighting picture frames and such. Once that was done, I buffed it and applied a coat of stain sealer (can't remember the name right now). The main trick was to make sure the grid pattern was deep enough, and that the black stain reached into the bottoms of the

Thank you for the explanation, i thought it might have been vinigeroon as i have heard that it gives a grey type colour but your way sounds a bit better and obviously works, thanks again, keep posting.

Not into any type mid evil whatsoever, but this is actually a beautiful piece !

Thanx for your included explanation as well.---- Wild Bill46

That is absolutely wonderfully done! The only area where it's weak is how it's strung onto your horse's head, but I assume once you have a bridle on that you would have a better system to hold it in place.

Edited by Grey Drakkon

Ha, that is so cool! I do agree with Grey, though. It seems like you could just as easily tie it to the bridle rather than under the chin.

Looking again at the pic, looks like you have a hackamore on, there could be some interference with the action of the nose band depending on how tight you make the attachment, but it should work if it's loose enough. Maybe a dedicated strap going under the jaw would be better in this case, but the string looks like a decided last moment add-on rather than a part of the barding.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone... it was a challenging project. While you probably can't see it well, it incorporates embossing, medieval designs for the tooling, creative stitching by hand and machine and creative padding.

Yes, Grey Drakkon and Monica Jacobson, I should have been clearer... these photos were taken before I finalized the strapping system and were just a test to ensure fit quality. I was suspicious that the chamfron would interfere with the action of the hackamore as well, though this mare is far enough along in her training that she responds to my seat and legs and isn't as dependent on bosal cues anymore. In order to address the bosal movement issue I have added attachments (straps, not strings) for the bosal hanger and will need to ride with a fiador to ensure a good anchor along the cheeks. It also sat a bit too heavily above her eyes, so I am going to add some more padding on the underside above each eye and above the bosal, which shoud increase the clearance for her eyes and allow the bosal more movement.

On to the next project!

Excellent! Take pics of the new setup if you could. I have horsey friends who would love to see it!

Looks awesome! I believe the wax substance you mentioned is called "Gilder's Paste" http://www.gilderspaste.com/ I know a couple of people who have used it on leather with great results, Though one says that it isn't terribly resistant to abrasion over time.

Great work , Love it.

Gorgeous!

Sporq: Yes, very similar... I used a moist rag dipped in Deco Art Metallic Lustre Wax Finish http://jollymollys.com/deco-art-metallic-lustre-wax-finish-1oz-pkg-gold-rush-ml-81-02/?gclid=CI2usPzdzsUCFRNafgodMqUAEg

I am aware that it will rub off a little over time, but I think with some top coating to seal it in a bit, it will be ok if it fades a little. Hopefully makes it look even more authentic :)

By the way, I was mostly inspired by this 14th century Mongolian or Tibetan metal-over-fabric chanfron...

post-1120-0-83210000-1432070925_thumb.pn