Wenny

Choosing A Shed For A Workshop

My husband is tired of sharing his garage space with my saddles and tack repairs, so we are looking into getting a wooden shed kit to put in the back yard. My own workshop! Costco is offering some good deals where they even assemble it for you as long as you have the space for it clear and level. We're looking at spending around $2000 for something at least 8x12'.

Has anyone else used one of these as a workshop? I usually have 3-4 saddles to store as well as my 6x3' workbench. I figure with the workbench on one side and saddle racks on the other, I'll still have 6 feet in between to move around. Is that going to be enough? The building we're looking at also has a window which should provide some nice light. It's like this one, but with only one window (it may be a discontinued model and that's why it's on sale) http://www.costco.com/Wilmington-12'-x-8'-Wood-Storage-Shed.product.100033503.html

What features should I be looking for? I've never had the chance to choose my own workspace, and I'd hate to get something and then realize three weeks later that I should have taken (insert workshop issue here) into consideration.

Hi Wenny, my wife and I have been looking into this for a couple years and are just about ready to act on a shed. The one thing I use as criteria to a well-built shed is a 16" center on studs in the walls. Very important. A 24 inch is just too weak and the shed walls will begin warping in no time. Also, a good strong door with length hinges, not just 3 spot hinges. We've found the Well-built I think it is called seems to be the toughest. Home Depot carries them. I'd be leary of a Costco shed personally. Also, look over how the roof attaches to the walls. Brackets are best. If just nailed on...be suspect right away. I think the name of the brand we like may be Better Built. Look these guys up. You are probably going to drop $2400 into one, but well worth it. John

Exactly the sort of info I was looking for, thanks! I checked the specs and the one we're considering does have 16" joint space and full length door hinges (as well as the decorative ones which are just there to look nice). I'll have to ask about the roof. I like the 15 year warranty, too. I'm going to check out the Better Built ones, too. Always good to have a comparison to help make a deal.

What else should I keep in mind? I'm 5'10"-- I don't want to have to duck around in there, or bang my head. What's rveryone'e experience with the height?

I started out in a 10X12 room and fast out grew it. Think about where you are gonna store your leather, Put your machines, and work. I think you will need a building twice as big as the 8X12.

Just my thoughts

If it is a hobby, 400 sq ft will probably take a while to out grow. If you are serious about a saddle shop, I would recommend at least a 24 X 24 (576) sq ft. or bigger. Restroom is good and a large sink is a real positive. HTH

Not sure where you live, but consider adding on insulation, heat and AC, more windows for ventilation, and electricity. Consider the floor in the kit sheds too. Most are weak, not designed for pounding and working in.

I built a 12x12 shop a couple years ago for working on tools. It is inside what most people would know as a machinery shed. I have some framing and construction experience so I built it myself. The floor is 1" plywood on pressure treated 2x6 floor joists, walls are all insulated and covered with paneling, ceiling joist are open inside and sheathed on top, just no felt or shingles needed. Four windows and locking exterior house type door, switched power outlets for ceiling shoplights, and 3 outlets on each wall. Stall mats for the entire floor for comfort, and a small window AC for creature comfort. The exterior walls are exterior siding panels and trimmed out. At the time a similar TuffShed was quoted at $3200 with 2 windows, slightly smaller kit shed from the DIYs was +/- $2400. Neither had insulation or covered interior walls. My deal came to $1300 total in materials and took me about 3 days by myself. Electrician was around $250 and put in a new sub for that part of the shop plus wired a 220 for the air compressor in the main part of the shop. You might price out a handyman sort of guy and see if you could do better for the same or not much more money.

While I dream about building saddles someday, I'm pretty sure that's all it is -- a dream. Right now I fix up saddles for resale and clean and repair tack strictly as a hobby, for the pleasure it gives me to see a smart rig on a spankin' horse. I'm not going to need an industrial leather splitter or a heavy duty sewing machine or anything; just my workbench, a place to store my waiting saddles and to hang bridles, etc, and the stand for the saddle I'm working on.

We're going out to look at the actual sheds today, not just pictures in the brochure. I hope I can remember all the tips you guys have offered and use them to make a good choice.

And Bruce, I just want to say that that is a pretty sight, that horse in your profile pic. It's tiny -- but am I right in that he's wearing a bosal hackamore? That's a beautiful stop on a loose rein, and boy is he well under. Gorgeous. Made my day.

Wenny, do you or husband, friends, neighbors, etc, have any building experience ? if so, build your own I have found fast, least expensive. As part time leather worker with const experience building outhouses to nukes with some experience. Let me know and I will try to help you out. Designed my own and found with modified gambrel roof and modular design (4-8-6-10 etc), no 14 ft, it's lumber waste. It can be built as large (width / length) that you want. Anyway would like to help if you seek assistance. 12x16 one day to build with some helping friends,(with hammers). :)

24x24 would be hard to outgrow without a public display or waiting area, maybe a 20x20 garage kit would fit the budget and if so be doable with not very experienced help

All I do is a few small cases and some belts. I also carve and dye some pictures up too about 12/14". I bouight a 8/16 ft. building to use as my shop. It didn't take long to outgrow it, even with the limited work I do now. I finally moved most of my stuff back into the spare bedroom in the house. The main bedroom is on one end and the spare on the other. I hope by the end of the year to get a 24/30 metal building with the cement floor included. I don't know where you are but, we get a paper down here in my part of S.C. that covers us and part of N.C. They have 5 or 6 different companies that offer some pretty good deals on the buildings. Just about all offer 2 roll up doors and a walkin door.Plus if it's not included you can add a couple of windows for about a $100.00. Try and look up www.stealsanddealsonline.com I see one 24x25x8 with concrete floor for $4'730.I don't know if this an option for you or not but, it won't hurt to take a few min. to look. Hope this helps in some small way. Billy P

My new shop area is 12 by 22, . . . and I had outgrown it the day I turned the lights on in it. I just have to deal with it, . . . as I cannot afford to do any more.

One thing the USNavy taught me, . . . storage (as much as possible, in plain sight) is the key to making the most out of limited space. Right now I have about a hundred bucks worth of shelving boards (#2 white pine) that have not gone up yet, . . . they will, . . . and it will then make things better.

For sure, . . . insulate the thing, . . . especially the roof, . . . keeps the sun out in the summer, . . . the heat in during winter. Mine has a mininum of 2 inches of foam all the way around, . . . 6 inches in some places, . . . even the floor is insulated w/2 inches of foam.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have been thinking about one of these enclosed on a crush and run gravel floor.

you can get a lot of useable square footage pretty. cheaply

post-34683-0-64248300-1398271882_thumb.j

I have a crusher run gravel floor in my shop......Don't do it. equipment will not have a sturdy base, and its hard on the feet. Moisture comes right through the gravel and can make it rain inside if its closed in. I will say this, figure out the size you need then double it. I am switching to a 16x24 shed with double floor joists and 16 inch centers with 2 lofts. I'm in Oklahoma so insulation is a must have. Last year it got to 114 degrees.

Lee

Edited by N5SGO

Water and sewer are a must if you don't want to be running back and forth from shop to house,.

Awww, . . . c'mon oltoot, . . . gotta have some good reason to come back in the house.

I mean, hey, . . . those cookies will go stale, . . . the mice will get the swiss cheese, . . . and that left over bag of Hershey kisses from Easter will just get gobbled up by the crumb crunchers, . . . if I don't have a reason to go back in and check on them. :thumbsup:

May God bless,

Dwight

I have a 16' X 24' and with 3 benchs sander. drill press storeage area press w/out sewing mach I just do have the right size for now. Soild floor and rubber is amust for the feet,

you should really think about a cargo container.

they are very sturdy and waterproof(if they haven't been damaged.

they are also easy to secure.

CARGO containers are a cost to $$ balance as well as retired semi trailers

I almost bought a 53' moving van single drop which would have given me 8 x 45 flat with 10'+ ceiling height

and back and dual side door both sides consider the steps cost as well as blocking and ??? power

a bargain at $2000 delivered and dropped for quick dry area, but ,,,??? imho???