Riemer

Carnauba Cream And Neatsfoot Oil

Hey Guys. I'm looking to buy some carnauba cream and neatsfoot oil and found some stuff that is not sold through a leather working store (mostly automotive care stores). Is there anything that I need to look out for when buying the stuff cheaper elsewhere or is it just best to go with something from tandy or the like?

Much Obliged

Don't know about the carnauba cream, but make sure the neatsfoot oil is pure neatsfoot oil and not compound or anything like that. Compounds aren't standard, just a little neatsfoot oil with "other" stuff added to extend it, including minerals that can stain and react with the tanning chemicals. If you're looking to use the Carnauba cream for conditioning, just get some Montana Pitch Blend, or Pecards Leather Dressing. They'll last forever and provide excellent protection and conditioning.

I'll second Cyberthrasher on the neatsfoot oil compound.

I've never used the stuff myself (only "Pure Neatsfoot Oil") but have heard from several people that it causes linen thread to deteriorate.

Definitely go with the real stuff, even though it's more expensive!

I normally do two applications about 30 min. apart, as I've found that only one leaves some darker areas once in a while.

Thanks fellas.

in the UK we can get raw neetsfoot oil, the knuckle, ankle and knee joints of cattle are boiled up to extract the oil, cattle have a very poor blood supply to the legs, the oil has a lower solidifying temp so the joints in thre legs don't freeze Neet is an old norse word for beasts (cattle).

they also sell, I think it's called rectified neetsfoot oil which has been processed, like being pasturised, I always use the raw stuff, it can go rancid if you keep it too long and smell a bit but it still works, and the smell goes in a few days, yes it can rot cotton thread