arocco

Where Do You Buy Your Leather?

So I'm new to this forum and I've done some searching and one post I've wish I've found but still seems to elude me is a post on leather sources. I'm relatively new to leatherworking and I'm making watch straps right now from various Horween hides purchased from Maverick Leather Company out of California.

The quality of the leather is very good, while the price is relatively cheap (~$5 sqft)

I'm in the mood to start trying leather from different sources and other tanneries other than Horween but am not able to approach most tanneries directly because of the small amounts I buy.

Is there any other good leather dealers you guys would recommend?

Last side I got was from Wickett & Craig...but I'll try anyplace (other than Tandy and Springfield)

You can approach most tanneries directly even for small orders. A lot of us use Wickett & Craig for a good variety of high quality veg tan and you can buy as little as 1 side. You can also contact Horween's "little guy" extension called Tannery Row where you can buy as little as 1 side as well.

Where are you located? There are several smaller leather distributors around the US, like Sheridan Leather Outfitters in Sheridan, WY, or Panhandle Leather in Amarillo, TX, that are good to deal with and may be close to you. I like dealing with Sheridan Leather Outfitters when I can.

Bob

I have used both Thoroughbred Leather in Kentucky and American Leather Direct in Kentucky and have been happy with the products. Which one I use depends on what leather I need. Both have been good to work with even for one or two hides.

Shipping costs and duties to Canada make it difficult to obtain some of the nice leathers directly from the tannery.

I do, actually get most of my veg-tan leather from Tandy. They have one line of leather "European Tooling" bends that are of acceptable quality. The grain is nice, the flesh side is tight, and most hides don't have major faults to work around. The elite discount helps.

To any Canadians that have ordered leather from outside of Canada.. I would love to hear about your experience.

If you want tooling leather I've had a a lot of luck from Panhandle Leather. They have good prices and deliver pretty fast. I use Springfield leather for most other kinds. Wicket and Craig have good stuff, but it costs more. If you're going to carve its rough to cut with a swivel knife. A.M.D. has good prices but it's hard to tool. If you like to use Horween leather, Maveric leather has some of the best prices I've seen.

Shipping costs and duties to Canada make it difficult to obtain some of the nice leathers directly from the tannery.

I do, actually get most of my veg-tan leather from Tandy. They have one line of leather "European Tooling" bends that are of acceptable quality. The grain is nice, the flesh side is tight, and most hides don't have major faults to work around. The elite discount helps.

To any Canadians that have ordered leather from outside of Canada.. I would love to hear about your experience.

Same here.

Would love to hear from some other canadian leather worker.

Being in Canada the shipping on the US tannery is killing us (for small orders)... so I do get my leather from Tandy as well.

I have used both Thoroughbred Leather in Kentucky and American Leather Direct in Kentucky and have been happy with the products. Which one I use depends on what leather I need. Both have been good to work with even for one or two hides.

Great will try out these two as well.

Any other companies? I've also tried "The Leather Guy" in minnesota as they have a good website but was unimpressed with their leather quality.

I've used American Leather Direct also and most likely will not again after trying Hermond Oak. The differnce is like night and day. H.O is easy to tool. It will spoil you

I like the veg double shoulder from RJF, cuts nicely and molds really well for concealed carry holsters I make. Ive tried a few others, now I have to sell a buncha belts....

Brettuns Village has small hides and scrap http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/vegtanleathers.htm and thicker stuff http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/solebends.htm

so does Springfield leather they have lots to choose from http://springfieldleather.com/17/Leathers/

Same here.

Would love to hear from some other canadian leather worker.

Being in Canada the shipping on the US tannery is killing us (for small orders)... so I do get my leather from Tandy as well.

Check out www.caledonleather.ca they're based out of Calgary and are Canadian distributors of Herman Oak and Thoroughbred leather. Their site isn't the greatest and they don't have any kind of stock listings so you'll have to contact them directly to find out if they have what you're looking for. I haven't placed any orders with them as of yet, so if any fellow Canadians have had experience going through them I would love to hear some feedback.

Edited by xaque

If you are looking for leather for all quality at affordable cost, then you find it from borlino provides free shipping on all price.

Yeah, looks to be a manufacturer of bags and such.....seems like a spam posting, even I have better grammer.......

If you are looking for leather for all quality at affordable cost, then you find it from borlino provides free shipping on all price.

I think the original poster was looking for raw leather suppliers, not finished products

But, you have beautiful leather products and fantastic photography n your website

Good for you, promo away!!!!

Edited by WScott

I'm in the same boat. However, from the many recommendations from Leatherworker.net members, I made my first leather purchased with RJF Leather - http://rjfleather.com. I haven't received the order yet, but so far I'm impressed. I'll let you know what I think when my order arrives.

I have mail ordered from

Sherridan Leather Outfitters and Springfield Leather. I had no problems with either. When you mail order, there is an inherent risk that what you get isn't quite what you want.

I actually prefer a little place in East Vancouver where I go to see, smell and feel the leather before I buy. Even the Local Tandy is a good start to get the hands on feel of what you are buying

JMHO

Yeah, looks to be a manufacturer of bags and such.....seems like a spam posting, even I have better grammer.......

My apologies for my bad post, shame on me.

Thank you WScott, it was a bad move on my part, I jumped to a conclusion and apologize for it.

Edited by J Hayes