Sign in to follow this  
Ellen

Liquid Paint (Ink, Dye) For Thin Lines?

Looks like I'm resurrecting the old topic of acrylic paint dilution, I'm new to using it on leather.

I have a problem of applying acrylic paint with maximum dilution (50%) evenly on fairly thin lines, 2-3mm (1/16 -1/8"). Tried both, artistic and hobby paints. Adding even an airbrush medium (= transparent paint) builds thickness in layers and makes paint more viscous than diluting with water.

Have no access to Angelicus paints, didn't try Cova colors yet. Do they have the good solid brown, intense (not dark) red, green, yellow, blue?

Art stores have also acrylic ink, airbrush paint and Golden liquid paint, can they be a solution?

What do you use?

Who used hobby paint, how does it hold after years? From practice, not theory, please.

Edited by Ellen

When I use acrylics, it's always hobby paints diluted 60/40. The only ones I've had problems with wearing/fading are the metallics. I even experimented a while ago by painting a square of leather with pink acrylic, Satin-Shene over it, and carried it in my back pocket for 2 weeks straight. It held up well, no real wear at all.

Thank you!

Anybody else to chime in? Anytime, I'm checking this thread periodically.

Okay, I admit it. I sometimes cheat and use Sharpie extra fine point markers to fill in tiny spots. I found that they are just dye in a tube anyway, so they work for me.

Be cautious using ink as it often has an oil base and it can "migrate" through the leather over time. I've had good results with Sharpie markers, and nowadays you can get them in a full spectrum of colors.