Sign in to follow this  
SnappingDragon

Leather Identification Resources?

I work primarily with veg tan so I really have almost zero knowledge regarding other types of leather. Over the years I have been fortunate to have 3 different people give me giant boxes of leather scrap. At this point I have so much of it and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it all. I have assorted colors, weights, types and sizes of scraps. There are some suedes in there, also some that I suspect are faux leathers. I haven't the foggyiest idea as to what most of them are (one woman who provided me with a box told me there was deer and elk in there among other things). I certainly don't expect anyone to tell me what they all are but I am wondering if anyone has a link to some good resources on identifying different types of leathers preferably with photos as well. Any info is appreciated.

Cheers! :D

I don't know of any resources, but I would at least start by comparing to pictures provided by suppliers. That could help you narrow things down.

The fake stuff will melt if you hold a small flame against it.

If the middle of the coloured leather looks blue or grey, it is likely chrome tanned.

You can test casing and stamping to see if it willc ase, and it it will burnish and retain the samping. That will help tell you if it is veg tanned.

Tom

Thanks guys :)