Scary Leatherworks

quick question for the seat makers (wet wrappers)

I need to order some leather for the sides of my seat that I'm working on. Top is done and I thought I had plenty of material for the sides but alas I do not. So my question is can I use a "veg tanned split" for the sides? I can't go to the store and look at it so I'm not sure if it's what I want. Not planning on tooling any on the sides just vinagaroon and X lace.

Scott

I need to order some leather for the sides of my seat that I'm working on. Top is done and I thought I had plenty of material for the sides but alas I do not. So my question is can I use a "veg tanned split" for the sides? I can't go to the store and look at it so I'm not sure if it's what I want. Not planning on tooling any on the sides just vinagaroon and X lace.

Scott

Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but I would feel that a veg-tanned split would be way weaker than an equivalent thick piece of veg tanned grain. Chrome tanned split, no, but veg-tanned, yes. Any thoughts pro or con out there?

I'm not even sure why the sell vegtan splits. They are very weak and good for nothing. They will rip and tear when trying to mold them or pull them tight. Just buy some more vegtan and go from there. You will be very dissatisfied with the splits.

Tim

I'm not even sure why the sell vegtan splits. They are very weak and good for nothing. They will rip and tear when trying to mold them or pull them tight. Just buy some more vegtan and go from there. You will be very dissatisfied with the splits.

Tim

I would suggest using the same type of leather that you used or the top of your seat. Even if it is vinegroon'd you won't be happy. You've spent all that time and energy to make an awesome seat... don't skimp out at the last minute. Remember, no matter how hard you try, if you start with crappy materials, you'll end up with crappy results!

I can't wait to see the seat!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will stick to my usual leather then. I just happened to see the splits and thought I'd give them a try since I prefer to use lighter weight leather on the sides for wet wrapping. I definitely don't want to use poor quality materials.

Scott