Beener

Singer 29K base restoration.

Sorry everyone, thought I would just toss in a little brag topic.

I have just finished restoring the base on my newly acquired Singer 29K58. The irons were very rusty and covered in several coats of touch-up paint, so they were stripped completely and repainted. Got the whole thing completed on the week-end and actually mounted my machine and treadled for a bit. I have no needles or thread yet, but that's on the way, so I will be sewing in no time. I have work to do on the machine head yet, so no pictures of that until I'm done. Please enjoy...

29K_base_before.jpg

29K_base_after.jpg

Side_logo.jpg

Side_view.jpg

Today_001.jpg

post-9848-1246887538_thumb.jpg

post-9848-1246887613_thumb.jpg

post-9848-1246887763_thumb.jpg

post-9848-1246887781_thumb.jpg

post-9848-1246887805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beener

YOU DID WELL....

are there more stands where you found that one.?

It's funny, when I sent out the message on the other email group I belong to asking for anyone with a 29K to let me know because I was interested, I didn't really expect much, but I did get a lot of responses. More than I though I would anyway.

I only persued this lead and got the machine and base for a decent price. I am sure there are more out there, as it is a strictly Treadle machine oriented group, not a leatherworking group. Could probably track down another base and maybe machine if you want.

I have just finished restoring the base on my newly acquired Singer 29K58. The irons were very rusty and covered in several coats of touch-up paint, so they were stripped completely and repainted. Got the whole thing completed on the week-end and actually mounted my machine and treadled for a bit. I have no needles or thread yet, but that's on the way, so I will be sewing in no time. I have work to do on the machine head yet, so no pictures of that until I'm done. Please enjoy...

Really excellent, very well done!

Steve

It's funny, when I sent out the message on the other email group I belong to asking for anyone with a 29K to let me know because I was interested, I didn't really expect much, but I did get a lot of responses. More than I though I would anyway.

I only persued this lead and got the machine and base for a decent price. I am sure there are more out there, as it is a strictly Treadle machine oriented group, not a leatherworking group. Could probably track down another base and maybe machine if you want.

Do you mind giving an indication of the price of these old Singers?

That is a nice restoration. I have a similar one.

Can you please let us know what type of paint was used - I am tempted to have a go at restoring mine.

Geoff

Well this particular machine cost me $200.00USD and I had to drive 2 hours to go pick it p. Freight would have been ridiculous, so i went to get it myself. $200.00 isn't a bad price for this machine but because it's old and it's Singer everyone on the net wants to charge a bazillion dollars for them. I have seen them on craigslist and kijiji for around the same money and sometimes in the $500.00 dollar range.

As for restoration, brake fluid was used to strip and it worked awesome, if you want more info, send me a PM.

For paint, I knew I was going to use this machine almost daily, so I figured that I would just use basic canned Rust paint. If I was going to actually restore this for lookie lookie, I might have opted for automotive canned paint or even had them powder coated but I would drop something on it and chip it and then be super upset that I wrecked a few hundred dollars worth of paint. This way I can just touch it up every once in a while and have it be done.

I have pictures of another 29K that one of the members of the restoration group that I belong to did if you need anymore inspiration but I can't post them because they aren't mine. Let me know if you want to have a look...

Edited by Beener

By the way, I have the instruction manual and parts lists as PDF format if you would like them.

I am ok in that respect. I have those all printed and bound already.

I sent you an email with all the info.

I am ok in that respect. I have those all printed and bound already.

I sent you an email with all the info.

Received with many thanks,

Geoff

Hot Dayum! You wiped out that stand's antique value and turned it into a brand new stand!! Now I am starting to want to do it to my old 29 stands!!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Looks good. Does the sewing head look like it needs much work? If you need parts we stock a lot of different parts for these heads.

Looks good. Does the sewing head look like it needs much work? If you need parts we stock a lot of different parts for these heads.

No, sorry the head actually just needs the bare metal parts on the head polished back to bare metal and a coat of wax and it is good to go. I am going to leave the finish alone on the head because the decals are not bad and I don;t want to take away from it's value by doing something that will effect the way it looks now. It has a little history that needs to be save regardless of the paint chips and scratches. The wax will make it look fantastic without a whole bunch of work anyway.

By the way, I have the instruction manual and parts lists as PDF format if you would like them.

He Hello Geoff. I am very interested in those 2 manuals. I have just bought a 29K1 without any documents. Could you mail me those 2 manuals?

Witj kind regard, Marcel

Looks Great !!

Oh I'm sew (lol) jealous. I just got a 29k72 that somebody mounted on a standard table (yuk). I don't know whom in their right minds would put a cylinder machine on a standard table, it sort of defeats the purpose of the cylinder bed if you ask me.

I guess the machines were either sold with the table or not, see lots of machine and table combos, lots of machines alone but rarely a table with no machine. Wah..I'd love one to complete my 1955 scotland made 29k72. If you come across another one and fix it up I bet one of us in here would hand you a tidy sum for it. I'm not sure I'm going to like the clutch motor being used to the other type...I've heard they are a touch harder to control and a bit noisier since they run all the time...but then I've also heard they packa touch more punch too.

Nice job on the stand.

I have a 29K51 complete with stand made in Clydebank Scotland in 1930 that sews good, all original paint with just a few chips, original treadle drive. Just to see how wide a range of opinions there, are what would you think it would be worth IF I decided to sell it?

Well this particular machine cost me $200.00USD and I had to drive 2 hours to go pick it p. Freight would have been ridiculous, so i went to get it myself. $200.00 isn't a bad price for this machine but because it's old and it's Singer everyone on the net wants to charge a bazillion dollars for them. I have seen them on craigslist and kijiji for around the same money and sometimes in the $500.00 dollar range.

As for restoration, brake fluid was used to strip and it worked awesome, if you want more info, send me a PM.

For paint, I knew I was going to use this machine almost daily, so I figured that I would just use basic canned Rust paint. If I was going to actually restore this for lookie lookie, I might have opted for automotive canned paint or even had them powder coated but I would drop something on it and chip it and then be super upset that I wrecked a few hundred dollars worth of paint. This way I can just touch it up every once in a while and have it be done.

I have pictures of another 29K that one of the members of the restoration group that I belong to did if you need anymore inspiration but I can't post them because they aren't mine. Let me know if you want to have a look...

Hi!

Newbie here....I am looking to restore my Singer 29K and don't even know where to begin! Can you share your restoration group? I'm impressed with your work! Stunning! Also, do you know where I could find the manual for this machine?

Thanks,

Rebekah