Bmoz

Rockwell Jawhorse Stitching Adapter

post-9947-037779900 1295141814_thumb.jpgI have decided to turn my Rockwell Jawhorse into a stitching horse. Because it is so handy I will try to to it without changing anything permanent. Here is a picture of the Jawhorse as is straight from Lowes. It almost looks like the stitching horse that finally collapsed. This thing is crazy sturdy. Originally I just took the Jaws from my broken stitching horse and screwed them on. While that worked pretty well I saw some opportunity for improvement. So the plan is to make a magnetic attachment for the Jawhorse which will then be able to double as a great all around clamp as well as a stitching horse with minimal PITA to change out. I will use the cut offs from the broken stitching horse which are 12 inches tall for when I am sewing while seated. and I will also make a set that are 20 inches tall in case I want to stand. I will also add a magnifying light fixture and a magnetic work table.

post-9947-021251700 1295142507_thumb.jpgI started with the 20 inch jaws. Which will be made from one six foot piece of oak 1" by 6"

I crosscut the board down into two 20 inch inch pieces four 4 inch pieces and 6 pie shaped pieces.

The 4 inch pieces are glued one piece to each end of the 20 inch pieces.

the six pie shaped pieces are glued together to form one piece a little under three inches tall.

I then bandsawed the jaws so that they roughly resemble Stitching horse jaws.

The pie shaped pieces are used to turn the jaws to a slight cant so that the leather is facing you the way it does with a real stitching horse. I will post some more pics after the glue dries.

post-9947-096204700 1295142522_thumb.jpg

post-9947-036240200 1295142539_thumb.jpg

post-9947-018168800 1295142561_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I have been looking at those. Would make an excellent addition to the shop!:specool:

I will be making a 2 wooden horse jaws for pressing larger flower stamps ect. One smooth & another with a hole for the stamp.

As for stitching horse 4" x 16" 3/4" plywood a 2x4 spacer with two 1/8" strips of plywood glued to the 2x4 left a gap perfect for 1/8" thick leather jaw covers with enough room for 2 thickness of leather to be sewn.

Ignore the author who said to use a large wing nut on a 1/2" bolt. It will cause extreme finger strain and pain. Just use 1/2" nuts and a 3/4" boxed end wrench. The jaws will close with 1/2 turn of the wrench approx.

There is no need to buy a special press costing $599.00

Edited by ContactCement