Jerkeejoe

What type of Leather to use for messenger bag?

I'd like to make a messenger type bag for my laptop and school books. I'd like the bag to be flexible and soft, but still be strong enough to hold together and protect my laptop. I was thinking of using some 4-5oz latigo, but am not entirely sure that that is the best option. Please let m eknow what you think. Thanks.

PS: Here is a picture of a bag that I plan on making mine similar to: http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDs...p?section=14798

-Joe

That looks to be bridle side leather, probably split down to that 4/5 oz weight.

I believe our own essantoro uses someting other than bridle, but he plans on moving to bridle. Check his posts.

I'd like to make a messenger type bag for my laptop and school books. I'd like the bag to be flexible and soft, but still be strong enough to hold together and protect my laptop. I was thinking of using some 4-5oz latigo, but am not entirely sure that that is the best option. Please let m eknow what you think. Thanks.

PS: Here is a picture of a bag that I plan on making mine similar to: http://www.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDs...p?section=14798

-Joe

From the tight seams, it looks like chrome tanned chap to me. Probably 3/4 0z with a stiff liner. Latigo would be too stiff to make a pattern like that. I have an old mail bag. It's made of 4/5 oz chrome with welted seams, but they don't lie as flat as those.

That doesn't look like latigo to me, either. It looks softer, like chap or upholstery leather. But I have seen messenger-style bags that were done in latigo that were also very nice! Just depends, I suppose, on whether you prefer a softer or firmer hand.

Kate

Looks can be decieving. The name being "Bridle Field Bag"

implies Bridle leather to me.

Names can be deceiving, too, Windy. (Ever seen "genuine leather" on a piece that was obviously not real leather?) I will agree that the straps look like they could be made of bridle leather, but I'm pretty sure the rest of it is not, because bridle leather has a very smooth grain, and the shell material of this bag has more of a pebble texure.

Kate

Looks can be decieving. The name being "Bridle Field Bag"

implies Bridle leather to me.

Hey everyone, I appreciate all of the comments and help.

I'm not trying to figure out the type of leather used in that bag, I was simply showing the type of pattern I want to emulate. I'm still thinking of using 4-5oz latigo, but now have some other options as well. Thanks.

-Joe

Hi Joe,

I've been thinking of trying to make something similar. It's probably a bit beyond my skill right now, so i can't really help you with leather choice. But i'm curious, were you planning to include some form of padding to protect the laptop? And if so, what are you going to use?

D&B usually uses chap grain leather doubled at the edges with a bridle strap like most companies they name a product with a name that sounds good not what it is. 4-5 oz. latigo would make a good laptop bag I would use 9-10 oz. straps and might double the edges of the flap using a contrasting leather like if you are using a burgundy latigo for the bag use a black for the straps and edge of the flap so if you have the flap open and you look at the back it looks like a frame.

Just a thought

Rob

Someone had one of these bags and was kind enough for me to measure it with a thickness caliper. One place read 2-3 oz and the other place read 3-4 oz. The straps were 7-8 oz.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks again for all of the help guys. I'm going to get some cheaper 4-5oz stuff from Tandy for my first attempt and will post results. I figure after making one, I'll have figured a lot of it out and will make a second with some nice leather from Wickett and Craig.