Sign in to follow this  
bigorange

Tippman pros / cons

I am looking into buying a boss,, the videos of its use look ok, I do not do I productiob so the hand op is not an isse, please , let me hear from you

From my experiences with the Boss sewing machines I´d advice you to find an old model, cast iron Boss. I have had two aluminium frame machines , the first one sounded like it was filled with gravel right out of the box, and it didn´t work. After some problems I got a new one and it functioned a couple of weeks, then the jump foot mechanism broke, which caused the needle foot to break. I ordered new parts, put it together and sold it. Then I managed to find a used cast iron Boss ( it was not used, as the owner had no idea on adjusting tensions!) and it is like a Swiss watch, no malfunctions, it sews without problems year after year . The only thing I´ve done to it is installing a take up lever spring, to keep tension of the top thread during the whole sewing cycle. (part # AR-49)

The difference between the old Boss and the "upgraded" version: Old Boss has a cast iron frame and the inner parts are made of machined steel . The new model has a aluminium frame and the inner parts are made of zink castings, a difference like day and night!

(Also found out that Tippmanns customer service ends at the US border, sad but true!)thumbsdown.gif

/ Knut

I have two Boss machines. Both are aluminum castings however one is an early one with all steel parts the other is a newer one with the alleged break at the pull of the handle parts. Both machines have given me no problems after sewing through several pounds of thread. Only two drawbacks. The throat on the Boss is a little narrow and doing belts can get tiresome with those long runs of stitches. I solved this problem by adding an aerostitch. Keep them clean and lubed and you will have no problems.

I bought a Boss three years ago after trying one at a Tandy Leather Factory showroom.  I could not get my machine to sew correctly for any extended amount of time.  It requires constant tension adjustment whenever you changed thicknesses of leather.  I finally purchased a Cobra class 4 and I am well pleased.  I do use the Tippman as a hole punch for thick welts.  If I had it to do over, I would have bought a good Jukki 441 copy from the start.  Just my two cents on the topic.

Edited by Mongo

I am looking into buying a boss,, the videos of its use look ok, I do not do I productiob so the hand op is not an isse, please , let me hear from you

I have a Tippman Boss (Alum Frame) and have not had any trouble with it. When you first get it they are dry (no lube from factory) get some grease and hit the moving parts in back and on the handle. Oil (lightly) all the points near the needle and foot mech. They work well after that and spend some time learning how to adjust them.

Run a bunch of test panels, over adjusting and over adjusting, learn what to look for in the stitch. They work like a champ.

They are a good beginner machine if you are patient but that is the same with any sewing machine. I have several sewing machines now and still there are some jobs I will use the Boss for.

Just my .02 cents

Rick J.

The Boss is a good machine for the hobby minded person. If you have a choice, go with the cast iron casting, as these do seem to have a bit better quality with regard to parts. We used to sell the Boss sewing machines, and it was explained to us at the time of the switch that the aluminum casting and zinc extruded parts were incorporated into the design to reduce machine time and costs.

Not that this is a bad thing, but I seem to hear from a lot of folks that the cast iron machines were the ones to have.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I bought a Boss two months ago. Has had two breakdowns already. Rack gear broke first month. Now the bobbin shuttle is slamming into the spacer shuttle and jamming the machine. It has only sewn abut 160 holsters. Total of 6 inches per holster. I noticed too that the shuttle driver shaft has gotten slop in it already where it goes through the case at the rear. I see problems in the future with that. The big handle comes loose regularly even with Locktite applied. Tippmann was quick to fix first time but failed to call back when they said they would second time....still waiting on fix. My conclusion is that if your doing hobby work, a few projects at a time then maybe this'n would work for you but if your making a bunch of anything I don't think it can stand up to it. The whole shuttle mechanism was sloppy from day one which eventually led to the jamming I am experiencing now. The thread take up lever is very hard to adjust properly and goes out of adjustment often. The whole mechanism is not smooth and bangs and catches even though I thoroughly oiled and greased everything from the start. I really wanted to like this machine because of it's simplicity but I now have lost my confidence in it. Maybe I just got a bad one or maybe not. Can't recommend or not recommend as you might have a better experience but this is what I have experienced so far.

I have their Clicker 700 and 3 of their cutting dies. So far it has performed great.

So, I am looking for a replacement sewing machine that can handle the job. I need a machine that can sew through about 1/4 inch of holster leather with 346 or 277 thread. I need one that I can slow down to maybe even a single stitch at a time if that's possible. My only experience with sewing leather other than by hand is with the Boss. Don't know a thing about other machines. Any suggestions please.

I bought a Boss two months ago. Has had two breakdowns already. Rack gear broke first month. Now the bobbin shuttle is slamming into the spacer shuttle and jamming the machine. It has only sewn abut 160 holsters. Total of 6 inches per holster. I noticed too that the shuttle driver shaft has gotten slop in it already where it goes through the case at the rear. I see problems in the future with that. The big handle comes loose regularly even with Locktite applied. Tippmann was quick to fix first time but failed to call back when they said they would second time....still waiting on fix. My conclusion is that if your doing hobby work, a few projects at a time then maybe this'n would work for you but if your making a bunch of anything I don't think it can stand up to it. The whole shuttle mechanism was sloppy from day one which eventually led to the jamming I am experiencing now. The thread take up lever is very hard to adjust properly and goes out of adjustment often. The whole mechanism is not smooth and bangs and catches even though I thoroughly oiled and greased everything from the start. I really wanted to like this machine because of it's simplicity but I now have lost my confidence in it. Maybe I just got a bad one or maybe not. Can't recommend or not recommend as you might have a better experience but this is what I have experienced so far.

I have their Clicker 700 and 3 of their cutting dies. So far it has performed great.

So, I am looking for a replacement sewing machine that can handle the job. I need a machine that can sew through about 1/4 inch of holster leather with 346 or 277 thread. I need one that I can slow down to maybe even a single stitch at a time if that's possible. My only experience with sewing leather other than by hand is with the Boss. Don't know a thing about other machines. Any suggestions please.

If you want to go with a motorized machine, you might want to take a good look at the Cowboy Model 7441. It is an excellent machine that will sew heavy leathers and also sew at a very slow and controllable pace. Check out our website and contact information below.

Hope this is of some help to you.

I bought a Boss two months ago. Has had two breakdowns already. Rack gear broke first month. Now the bobbin shuttle is slamming into the shuttle spacer and jamming the machine. It has only sewn abut 160 holsters. Total of 6 inches per holster. The big handle comes loose regularly even with Locktite applied. Tippmann was very quick to fix first breakage. Am waiting for second fix. My conclusion is that if your doing hobby work or maybe repair work, a few projects at a time, then maybe this'n would work for you but if your making a bunch of anything over a long period of time I'm wonderin' if it can stand up to it. The shuttle mechanism was a bit sloppy from day one which eventually led to the jamming I am experiencing now. The thread take up lever is very hard to adjust properly and goes out of adjustment often. The whole mechanism is not smooth and bangs and catches even though I thoroughly oiled and greased everything from the start. I really wanted to like this machine because of it's simplicity but am losing my confidence in it. Maybe I just got a bad one or maybe not. Can't recommend or not recommend as you might have a better experience but this is what I have experienced so far.

I have the Tippmann Clicker 700 and 3 of their cutting dies. So far it has performed great and the cutting dies were right on. Just emailed drawings to them.

Tippmann sent replacement parts free Next Day Air and the Boss is up and runnin' again. They sent a whole new bobbin shuttle assembly and a new thread take up arm with a different spring which I like a lot better. No charge to me. It is an easy machine to replace parts on. Hopefully this fix will keep it running a while. Eventually it'll be my back up machine once I acquire an electric one.

So, for the hobby leatherworker, the Boss is the way to go? I don't need to do heavy production, hell, if it got used once a week I think that'd be a lot. But there's times that I KNOW I should be sewing something, and I just hate sewing so much that I get lazy and rivet or lace the damned thing. There's also a few things, like scabbards for swords, that I just don't make because I hate all the stitching involved - but I'd like to make more of them.

Is this what I should be looking for? A Tippmann Boss? Is there anything else comparable in price and function?

In a similar price range is the Luberto's Cub series- 6 and 9 inch arms available. You're still looking at around $1200 to start, though. Not too far after that to get a motorized one.

I have a Lubertos Classic that is about 9 years old. Great machine that will do a lot of neat stuff, never had a breakdown. If I were looking for a hobby machine, I would look at the Luberto Cub, If it is as well made as the Classic, it would be a look at. I also have a Cobra 4, which is an awesome machine. If it had been available when I got the luberto's classic I would have went with it. I had a couple of Toro 3000 models but I sold both of them as I moved twice and both times, someone give me within $100 of what I had paid for them. If possible, I would get a short arm version of the 441. More money, but a really good machine and seems to hold its value.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

So, for the hobby leatherworker, the Boss is the way to go? I don't need to do heavy production, hell, if it got used once a week I think that'd be a lot. But there's times that I KNOW I should be sewing something, and I just hate sewing so much that I get lazy and rivet or lace the damned thing. There's also a few things, like scabbards for swords, that I just don't make because I hate all the stitching involved - but I'd like to make more of them.

Is this what I should be looking for? A Tippmann Boss? Is there anything else comparable in price and function?

If you're looking for a motorized machine in the same price range as the Tippmann Boss check out our website, the Techsew GA5-1 and Techsew 2603 are popular machines for hobbyists and serious leather workers as well.

Good luck in your search!

Ron

If you're looking for a motorized machine in the same price range as the Tippmann Boss check out our website, the Techsew GA5-1 and Techsew 2603 are popular machines for hobbyists and serious leather workers as well.

Good luck in your search!

Ron

Will they sew three pieces of 12oz, or two sole bends, together?

A: 36 oz of latigo, belting or harness leather, maybe. My Adler 204-374 will sew that much and more, but the needle gets hot and sticks in the leather after so many stitches. This causes the leather to jump up as the needle rises, leading to skipped stitches. One solution to that is to run the thread through silicon lube in a wax pot, or use lubricated thread.

B: Are you asking about sewing two layers of 1/4" thick sole leather? That is extremely tight grained leather that will cause most needle fed machines to jam from friction. Maybe needle fed machines will, maybe they won't sew two sole bends together without bending the needle, or jamming it inside the leather. I have used a variety of heavy leather sewing machines and the only types that reliably sewed sole leather together were a Union Lockstitch Machine and a Campbell Bosworth. These are needle and awl machines. The awl punches the hole, and the barbed needle follows through the hole, grabs the thread from a looper, and takes it down to the bobbin shuttle, where the stitch byte is formed. No friction or heat is placed on the needle, just on the awl. To tell the truth, I sometimes had to keep a spray can of silicon handy to spray the awl on long runs, because it got red hot sewing dense leather, like sole bends, used to make weight lifter belts.

The Techsew GA5-1 is a medium-heavy weight machine that can do about 3 layers of 9oz.

TechsewGa5-1.gif

The Techsew 2603 is great for chaps, upholstery grade leather, wallets, boots, belts etc..

To sew 3 pieces of 12oz you'll need the Techsew 180-2 heavy duty long arm machine with servo motor & speed reducer.

For the sole bends, what thickness are they?

Feel free to give us a call toll free at 1-866-415-8223 for more information.

Thanks,

Ron

post-7635-126227902578_thumb.gif

Edited by Ronnie

Out of the box I loved my Boss. No problems sewing, worked great, I was incredibly happy. Had not had it for two weeks when I let a friend use it for some canvas tent repairs.

It's been a couple of years now and it has never worked right since then. I've talked with the factory, taken it back to the Tandy where I bought it and had Jeff spend a good couple of hours working with it. He got it behaving decently, I brought it back home and it took a couple of feet worth of stitching to be an expensive hole-punch again.

I don't know what the problem is and I don't know how to fix it, which makes the machine pretty much an irritating roadblock in my shop.

I'm considering going to something in the Cobra 4 category and keeping the Boss on the chance that eventually I'll learn enough to be able to keep it working. It could be nice for taking to shows and permitting me to do some work on site.

The Techsew GA5-1 is a medium-heavy weight machine that can do about 3 layers of 9oz.

TechsewGa5-1.gif

The Techsew 2603 is great for chaps, upholstery grade leather, wallets, boots, belts etc..

To sew 3 pieces of 12oz you'll need the Techsew 180-2 heavy duty long arm machine with servo motor & speed reducer.

For the sole bends, what thickness are they?

Feel free to give us a call toll free at 1-866-415-8223 for more information.

Thanks,

Ron

I am looking for a machine that will do two layers of 7/8 oz with #277 thread with ease and maybe three layers once in a while. will the GA5-1 work?

I am looking for a machine that will do two layers of 7/8 oz with #277 thread with ease and maybe three layers once in a while. will the GA5-1 work?

Not a problem at all, the GA5-1 can easily sew 2-3 layers of 7/8oz with #277 thread. What will you be sewing?

Ron