Bob Blea

Lacing Slits - Straight Versus Angled?

Hello all,

This weekend I bought 3/32" lacing chisels because I have some smaller projects and I wanted to use thiner lace than the 1/8" stuff I typically use. For the 1/8" lace I have a four prong lacing chisel that is angled and I like that look. But when I bought the 3/32" chisel I accidentally bought a straight four prong chisel. I've seen the straight chisel used on some projects and it looks good, and I'm trying it on a business card case and I'm getting the hang of it, so I think it will work for me. My question though, is there a situation or application that people use the straight versus angled chisels for lacing? Is it only a matter of personal preference or are their situations that you use the straight instead of the angled chisel?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Bob

Hello all,

This weekend I bought 3/32" lacing chisels because I have some smaller projects and I wanted to use thiner lace than the 1/8" stuff I typically use. For the 1/8" lace I have a four prong lacing chisel that is angled and I like that look. But when I bought the 3/32" chisel I accidentally bought a straight four prong chisel. I've seen the straight chisel used on some projects and it looks good, and I'm trying it on a business card case and I'm getting the hang of it, so I think it will work for me. My question though, is there a situation or application that people use the straight versus angled chisels for lacing? Is it only a matter of personal preference or are their situations that you use the straight instead of the angled chisel?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I use the straight chisels for doing triple loop lacing on edges. It may not be technically correct, but I like the way it creates a linear border next to the angled lacing and helps create the "forward motion" look that using an angled chisel doesn't quite create.

Chris

th_VT1300CT_tooled_tank_bib.jpg

Hi Bob,

I use the straight chisels for doing triple loop lacing on edges. It may not be technically correct, but I like the way it creates a linear border next to the angled lacing and helps create the "forward motion" look that using an angled chisel doesn't quite create.

Chris

Thanks Chris, your work looks really nice. After trying this a few times I've learned (the hard way) that it's important to keep this chisel in a straight line as any deviation from your line will really show up. It's shows up more with this tool than it does with the angled chisel (IMO). I see what you mean about the linear border it creates, it does look very good.

Bob

Edited by Bob Blea