Sign in to follow this  
WillyTrambone

Carving And Stamping Tools

Hello everydy!

I hope this is proper section of forun for my question. If not, moderators, please move it to correct one.

Let me explain my situation. I live in Ukraine, and here you can not find such great tools as you guys have. Either there is no russian language descriptions of tools and techniques. Even veg-tanned leather proper for tooling is pretty rear. I'm telling that cos you may find my questions strange or even stupid :) But they aren't, I'm just "virgin" in leather decoration )))))

You see, my main interest lies in medieval leatherworks. And from that times people were decorating leather by stamping and carcing. I dream to make some copies of survived examples, and in future to make my own. For that I need tools. Some time ago my friend from US sent me some tools by Tandy Factory. Those were awsome. There was sweval knife and set of 5 basic 3D tools and modeling spoon. So now I think that I need more of this tools. I want to have all needed tools to make such beautifull projects as you guys do. Here I need your help. I need an advice in tools what I should buy (and where). I need everything :) You know, shipping cost to Ukraine is not very cheap, so I want to buy all at once, or maximum as possible. I didn't post this question in buy and sell area cos first of all I need to understand WHAT tools I need, and only than I'll look for buying em.

Here are some examples of survived medieval leather objects with carved decoration. Maybe they will help you to catch my idea. More of them you can see here http://picasaweb.goo...ambone/Sources#

15thCentCasefordoc.jpg1341-1360.jpg2009CA2919_jpg_l.jpg

ART343722.jpgMI07841e09a.jpg

MI01695a04a.jpg

Thanks everybody in advance,

Willy.

Willy,

If you will to the Tandy website, they will show you a list of all their tools along with a picture of the impression each tool makes. In looking at your pictures, the one essential tool would be a backgroung tool. There seems to me an extensive use of this type of tool. They have several different backgrounders. I am not sure what your friend sent you, but Tandy offers different packages of differnt tools, or you can buy them individually. The other suggestion I would offer is to order a book titled "Figure Carving" by Al Stohlman. It is a basic tutorial on figure carving, and the tools that are required and how to use them. Tandy has this book. You will have to find a dealer to buy from as Tandy is a wholesaler. Perhaps your friend in the states could help you.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Tandy in the UK (online) will sell to private individuals as well as companies. What I can't remember is if the Ukraine is in the EU. If so, purchasing from another EU company is pretty easy. You can get the same stuff from them that you can from the US Tandy shops. As a private individual, you will have to pay VAT, but if you are within the EU, you won't get hit by import taxes, which are the real beast of importing from the US.

If you can afford it, you can buy one of their complete kits. but otherwise you can get pretty far with a small selection of bevelers, a modeling spoon or two, and some backgrounding/matting tools to give texture.

I recommend the book "Leather Tools" by Stohlman. It has care and use directions for a lot of the tools (and no, you don't need everything it mentions, although I find myself very tempted by some of it). But it also has some info on making your OWN tools. With some good files, you can probably expand your tool workshop pretty effectively.

Thank you guys!

Now I'm browsing Tandy web-site. The thing is that it is pretty hard to choose tools when you've never held them in hands or even see by your own eyes))) There are so many different background tools and others.

So I thought that someone of experienced leatherworkers can give me an idea what tools stamps "every leatherworker should have" and what are "high likely to have" and what do I "need rearly".

Cos there are so many stamps that my mind is going to blow! As far as I'm going to do only "medieval" projects, I don't need all those acorn, bucket or flower stamps. I'll need background, beveler, camouflage, figure, matting, mulefoot, pear shader, seeder, veiner stamps.

But there are so many sizes of them, so many variations. Especially background, beveler and camouflage stamps. If only I could feel them in hands or in work It would be so much easier to choose. But I can't, so I'm asking an advice.

I understand that it'll be up to me to decide, yes.

Thanks everybody for your help,

Willy.

What size stuff do you plan to make? Large or small projects? How fine details?

My tool seletion is pretty limited yet. What I use absolutely the most is a slightly textured beveler. I like the effect that has when beveling around the outside of things. Then I have a smooth one for the insides.

I still have barely figured out how to use my camaflouging tools and the veiners.

I am less experienced than a lot on here, but I would recommend a smooth and textured beveler in a small-to-medium size. Then the figure carving tool that looks like a tiny pear shader. It tends to work well for beveling the tiny bits. A pear shader for putting depth in things, and a backgrounder or matting tool that you like. Add a modeling spoon.

You can do a lot with that selection. Of course a swivel knife for cutting it out.

Looking at your examples of what you want to do, I think that will ocver a lot of it. Maybe a seeder or two?

Now I am adding more figure carving tools to my supplies. A figure carving beveler for inside horses and such (see the recent horse carving thread for numbers), a textured triangular beveler for getting into corners...

Write to Tandy to request a copy of their catalog. Then you can see what size the tool impressions are with more confidence than the pics online. That will make it easier to work out which ones you want!

Another tip for picking out what to use: check Tandy's free patterns. Are there any you like? They include tool lists. Try studying the ones you like to work out where the different tools are used to figure out if it is an effect you want or if you might be happy substituting something else.

Good luck! I am in Denmark and lucky to have a local shop with some of the basics.