irishvaquero

Twist-Braiding A Reata

'Morning Gents,

I'm brand-spankin' new here and am looking for some information if y'all don't mind! I'm slowly trying to make the effort to get into ranch roping and a more traditional way of working with cattle. For a while now I've been working with a 65-foot poly rope but have for years wanted to have my own rawhide reata.

I saw a video of Doug Groves twisting one together on YouTube and thought I might be able to do it myself. This'll be the first time I've ever worked with rawhide. I don't want to get any deeper into braiding or much of anything else aside from making a reata or two. I'm going to pick up a hide to flesh and clean up within the next day or so, but am looking for any information that you more experienced people might be able to offer me! Anything can help. I'm hoping to have a finished reata of about 65-feet in length, but will be happy with whatever I end up with!

Thanks a bunch guys! I look forward to any constructive criticism or advice. Keep it gentle though for now. I'm still new to this idea and to the forum!

I don't have time now but will answer some of this tomorrow. Don't want you to think no one is listening.

Looking forward to it!!

If you want a finished reata at 65 feet you will need to start with strands about 100 feet long. It will lose about 1/3 when braided. That is for a four strand braided, not sure what will happen with the twisted reata.

When I cut a hide, I usually start in the middle and cut a soga, or strap about 1 1/4 inch wide. Then I cut strings off of it. Read thru the two tutorials on making rawhide and the rawhide tutorial. Rawhide is tougher to do in that you have to feel it to know when the moisture is right to cut lace and to braid. I can tell you what I look for and will do that this weekend when I have more time. If you have a rawhide braider in your area, get to know them and see if they can help you. More later