chancey77

51 Ford Door Panel Mock Up

Got in my leather order today for the 1951 Ford Pick up project. I thought I would start by making a couple miniature size ones so we can get an idea of where we are heading. These are the size of my hand right now but will be 37" x 37" or 90cm x 90cm for all my metric user buddies out there:)

Obviously I am going to have so much more room for a lot of detail, but these little mock ups are just to cool not to share!

I can't wait to dive into these this weekend...I am thinking about 200hrs each before they are done....

Again these are just spit ball ideas for the panels now:)

IT IS A RAT ROD 51...The owner has done a lot to the bottom side and now ready for the road, but the interior is going to be sick! We are starting with the door panels and will do the seat and rear upholstery and headliner. But first things first...Door Panels:)

So enjoy!

post-28433-082078300 1329251941_thumb.jp

post-28433-089027600 1329251950_thumb.jp

post-28433-005399300 1329251957_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

What a nice little project, I can see it taking longer than 200hrs, that basketweave will put ya to sleep :zzz:

Ya prob closer to 400..but we will see. Also the whole perimeter will be double loop stitched , so an ungodly amount of time there, but I will have help or that part:)

I have been thinking and trying different weave patterns so I am thinking alternating arrows and 4 lines of straight and then alternate again...but we will see. I am still trying to get it perfect on test pieces before I get in to deep into the actual thing. It is very hard to get the arrows to alternate or (Diamond -X pattern which is way cool) and be consistent withe the stamp I have. I have marked it on 1 corner and always lead with it, but for some reason it seems to want to not be consistent sometimes. I may just bag the whole stamp weave anyway and do it by hand, It might be a little more fun with a big weave done with the swivel knife...just another thought I have had about it.

We will see this week what happens:)

That's gonna be sweet when it gets out on the road! What's carved behind the bird on the left? A straight edge razor?

Cool project. Tons of room for more art, looking forward to what you come up with.

That's gonna be sweet when it gets out on the road! What's carved behind the bird on the left? A straight edge razor?

Ya it is a straight razor. One of my signatures.

The piece is going to be the biggest canvas I have worked on to date, so I am excited to get in to it! There is so many ideas I have it is impossible to put on a 5" piece...

Going to be cool!

Just my 2c: it might look a bit different in the original size than this scaled down piece, as you can't scale basketweave and border cams. Or can you? :)

Going to be cool!

Just my 2c: it might look a bit different in the original size than this scaled down piece, as you can't scale basketweave and border cams. Or can you? :)

I am not sure that really needs a reply:)

But I do have a much larger camouflage stamp than that. The basket weave I am going to do with my swivel knife and swivel beveler.

Everything is going to be much smaller on the real deal obviously as far as stamps go. But as something to have as a small scale for the client is cool. This is the very first time I have made a miniature sample before...I never had a need for a mock up before. I was watching American pickers and got the idea from a mini table saw they found that was used by the salesmen back in the 30's:) I thought wow that is a great idea..lol

And more than anything it has helped give me a small glimpse and the client of the potentials. Friday is when I will start on it....I will post pics of progress as I go.

I get an idea in my head, visualize and go for it. Traits of me being a Leo Type A:)

I have been waiting on the leather for about 3 weeks now till it showed up yesterday, so I have had to much time in my opinion to be thinking about it already.

There will be some tiki heads, stars, anchor,and a lot more tattoo imagery on the pieces, but how much can you really fit on a 5" piece??? LOL

Plus there are 2 doors:) I am trying hard not to throw the whole kitchen sink at this thing. A few big pieces might be more than enough.

Imagine giving a whole cow full body tattoos, that is what this is going to be like...It is taking 2 whole sides to make the panels, that is more skin than I have, and I have a lot of tatts, and have room for a lot more. So Hero pictures(the big ones/main focus) and filler pics. It is a bit mind blowing the whole idea of doing truck door panels. I have been trying for years to find the right guy to say yes. I have been going to car shows and building hot rods my whole life, and I have never seen this done on any project ever besides huge country stars from the 50's-70's.

The closest thing is the western suit maker Nudie Cohn's Pontiac Bonneville that he made for Art Miller(car dealer),Buck Owens,Porter Wagner and a few other rhinestone cowboys.

But unlike the western look (which I very much appreciate) of floral patterns. I am going to put my touch of tattoo designs and Rockabilly Rebel for this Rockibilly Rat Rod 51'. I LOVE BUCK OWENS CAR! It is amazing, but for this project it is going in a completely different direction. More like Prison and Dangerous Backstreets the imagery and essence of all the songs that all those musicians including myself write about.

Edited by chancey77

I have been trying for years to find the right guy to say yes. I have been going to car shows and building hot rods my whole life, and I have never seen this done on any project ever besides huge country stars from the 50's-70's.

The closest thing is the western suit maker Nudie Cohn's Pontiac Bonneville that he made for Art Miller(car dealer),Buck Owens,Porter Wagner and a few other rhinestone cowboys.

But unlike the western look (which I very much appreciate) of floral patterns. I am going to put my touch of tattoo designs and Rockabilly Rebel for this Rockibilly Rat Rod 51'. I LOVE BUCK OWENS CAR! It is amazing, but for this project it is going in a completely different direction. More like Prison and Dangerous Backstreets the imagery and essence of all the songs that all those musicians including myself write about.

:16:

:jerry:

I am not sure that really needs a reply:)

But I do have a much larger camouflage stamp than that. The basket weave I am going to do with my swivel knife and swivel beveler.

Okay, how do you do a basketweave with a swivel knife and a swivel beveler? This place is always teaching me something new.

Got in my leather order today for the 1951 Ford Pick up project. I thought I would start by making a couple miniature size ones so we can get an idea of where we are heading. These are the size of my hand right now but will be 37" x 37" or 90cm x 90cm for all my metric user buddies out there:)

Obviously I am going to have so much more room for a lot of detail, but these little mock ups are just to cool not to share!

I can't wait to dive into these this weekend...I am thinking about 200hrs each before they are done....

IT IS A RAT ROD 51...The owner has done a lot to the bottom side and now ready for the road, but the interior is going to be sick! We are starting with the door panels and will do the seat and rear upholstery and headliner. But first things first...Door Panels:)

So enjoy!

Wow, big job ahead but I love your design. Cheryl

Okay, how do you do a basketweave with a swivel knife and a swivel beveler? This place is always teaching me something new.

Do I really need to give away all my secret ammo....

Just Kidding...

Straight Edge, Swivel knife, Swivel Bevel, Ruler, and go to town! It is just a pattern like anything else.

Divide rectangles in halfs and make segments 1/3-1/4 the width draw 2 lines inside of each rectangle or a center mark using the straight edge and ruler skipping every other segment, and either stamp or create design inside that smaller space, checker board to offset them and before you know it a weave will start to emerge from the skin....Bevel edges..and so on...

so long lines gong the distance first...then start up and down lines every 2-3"'s so you have just a hole space used up of rectangles

then I think you can visualize it from there right-.)

If you are using something like a bar stamp like the Tandy celtic/rope/chain bar stamp for belt borders, just make sure you measure the bar stamp and make the rectangles that tall...and start from the center line like you would with the basket weave stamp that you already have....

Edited by chancey77

Do I really need to give away all my secret ammo....

Just Kidding...

Straight Edge, Swivel knife, Swivel Bevel, Ruler, and go to town! It is just a pattern like anything else.

Divide rectangles in halfs and make segments 1/3-1/4 the width draw 2 lines inside of each rectangle or a center mark using the straight edge and ruler skipping every other segment, and either stamp or create design inside that smaller space, checker board to offset them and before you know it a weave will start to emerge from the skin....Bevel edges..and so on...

so long lines gong the distance first...then start up and down lines every 2-3"'s so you have just a hole space used up of rectangles

then I think you can visualize it from there right-.)

If you are using something like a bar stamp like the Tandy celtic/rope/chain bar stamp for belt borders, just make sure you measure the bar stamp and make the rectangles that tall...and start from the center line like you would with the basket weave stamp that you already have....

You Da Man Dude. Thanks I need to try this out.

So enjoy!

Really....birds...???!!! :wacko:

Ohhh, come on, birds??....neehhh...needs flames and skulls, old time engraver style scroll border and lots of , and I mean a lot...!! of a super hot pin-up girl sitting on an old Ford sign....there where NO birds in the fifties...only hot chicks, cool cars and trucks and the high time of the bobber style....!!

And I would loose the basket wave too, haha....that's for saddles and horses...

OK, ok...everybody has its own style....I just got carried away..heheee...but birds...????

Ok, I better quit. please let us see the finished door panels...promise!??

Have fun, with what ever you put on it...:NEWFUNNYPOST:

Greetings

Jimbob!!

Really....birds...???!!! :wacko:

Ohhh, come on, birds??....neehhh...needs flames and skulls, old time engraver style scroll border and lots of , and I mean a lot...!! of a super hot pin-up girl sitting on an old Ford sign....there where NO birds in the fifties...only hot chicks, cool cars and trucks and the high time of the bobber style....!!

And I would loose the basket wave too, haha....that's for saddles and horses...

OK, ok...everybody has its own style....I just got carried away..heheee...but birds...????

Ok, I better quit. please let us see the finished door panels...promise!??

Have fun, with what ever you put on it...:NEWFUNNYPOST:

Greetings

Jimbob!!

Another one of those customer gets what he wants deals Jimbob...and to tell you the truth I HATE FLAME JOBS! I dig scallops but flames....showing your biker age there Jim:) Agreed, and don't worry I won't let ya down! There is going to be a kicker panel on the bottom of the panels because of the leather sizing issues even with whole sides, they just are not big enough for 38x 38 so I had to compromise to make it work right, so kick panels it is...maybe it'll get a Ford Logo, I don't know yet,

I am just the Vessel from which the Swivel Knifes work...hahahaha

Keep yall posted with progress pictures for sure!

Besides Swallows are old school tattoo designs designed for sailors who cross below the equator....I have 3 of them tattooed on me from Fred Marquand, and Jerry Collins.

I promise Jimbo I take this as serious as I possibly can! True Until Death!

I can hear you say in my head in your SW VIRGINA ACCENT...Really Birds...REALLY...and it is cracking me up right now......so a little hard to concentrate...bike.gifespecially with that stupid emotioncon...hahaha

Edited by chancey77

Another one of those customer gets what he wants deals Jimbob...and to tell you the truth I HATE FLAME JOBS! I dig scallops but flames....showing your biker age there Jim:) Agreed, and don't worry I won't let ya down! There is going to be a kicker panel on the bottom of the panels because of the leather sizing issues even with whole sides, they just are not big enough for 38x 38 so I had to compromise to make it work right, so kick panels it is...maybe it'll get a Ford Logo, I don't know yet,

I am just the Vessel from which the Swivel Knifes work...hahahaha

Keep yall posted with progress pictures for sure!

Besides Swallows are old school tattoo designs designed for sailors who cross below the equator....I have 3 of them tattooed on me from Fred Marquand, and Jerry Collins.

I promise Jimbo I take this as serious as I possibly can! True Until Death!

I can hear you say in my head in your SW VIRGINA ACCENT...Really Birds...REALLY...and it is cracking me up right now......so a little hard to concentrate...bike.gifespecially with that stupid emotioncon...hahaha

yeahhh, these customers....I hate to do flames and skulls all the time and then they want it in black...grrr....wish I could do some flowers, I love flowers....#$%^&&^%$#$

But the info on the "birds" was interesting, did not know that.

I dig old shool tattoos, but also the more artsy new age stuff.....but I know by seeing some of your stuff that these panels are in good hands....when u sit down in your snow covered shack ( it snows all the time in Finnland...?) then you will come up with a super cool idea....have some Espresso...wait ( that's a different country...haha...) and than go for it!!!

We all here want to see them finished panels....and who knows, maybe I do my wife's Chevy Tahoe panelsl one day ( with flowers...hoohuhahahaaa....)

Good having you on here....me enjoy to talk to some one from "over there"

Be gud and have fun

Greetings from SW Virginia...

Jimbob

yeahhh, these customers....I hate to do flames and skulls all the time and then they want it in black...grrr....wish I could do some flowers, I love flowers....#$%^&&^%$#$

But the info on the "birds" was interesting, did not know that.

I dig old shool tattoos, but also the more artsy new age stuff.....but I know by seeing some of your stuff that these panels are in good hands....when u sit down in your snow covered shack ( it snows all the time in Finnland...?) then you will come up with a super cool idea....have some Espresso...wait ( that's a different country...haha...) and than go for it!!!

We all here want to see them finished panels....and who knows, maybe I do my wife's Chevy Tahoe panelsl one day ( with flowers...hoohuhahahaaa....)

Good having you on here....me enjoy to talk to some one from "over there"

Be gud and have fun

Greetings from SW Virginia...

Jimbob

I have been thinking ...ya to much again today....

But ya your tatoally right Jim, so no more basketweave!

Ford Logo done in the style of Pinstripes!!!!!!!!!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it...hahahaha

PS Jimbo, I am a True Southerner...I was born in the Swamps of Florida.) I just live in Finland now:) Actually the only one to leave since my family immigrated to America since the 1800's....

I have been thinking ...ya to much again today....

But ya your tatoally right Jim, so no more basketweave!

Ford Logo done in the style of Pinstripes!!!!!!!!!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it...hahahaha

PS Jimbo, I am a True Southerner...I was born in the Swamps of Florida.) I just live in Finland now:) Actually the only one to leave since my family immigrated to America since the 1800's..

Hohooho....

Another alien....me not from SW-Virginia either, born in the southern part of Germany!

Strange how this happened....I would love to see Finnland...so beautiful what I have seen in pictures.

now we are talking, pinstripe desing....cool I bet these panels will be killer!!

I just got into pinstriping and gold leaf....also on leather.

well, have fun with the panels and keep us posted!!!

Aloha

Jimbob

Ok Hey Ho Lets Go!

So we are getting some general progress made on design starting today, we had hundreds of pictures to go through for the images, and still a lot more to do to the passenger door panel, I will be filling in some gaps with some more original artwork . The Ford logs we have 3 different pinstriped Ford logos and pieces I liked from all 3 so I will be mixing them as I actually get started...At first we where going to make a 1 cm extra skin for lace and fold it over the back before lace, but now we decided to cut them flush and after making the slits/holes for the lace that I would drill out the wood and lace directly to the plywood backing.

More to come:)........I am just getting started finally, so here we go!

I am thinking to move this post and project to the Motorcycle Part of the Forum...

post-28433-038747400 1330188447_thumb.jp

post-28433-043382800 1330188450_thumb.jp

post-28433-025152500 1330188453_thumb.jp

post-28433-036233400 1330188457_thumb.jp

post-28433-042444000 1330188460_thumb.jp

post-28433-064580100 1330188463_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

I was thinking that if you rolled out a sheet of polymer clay the size of the panel you could do a realistic mock up which could be easily changed. No hammering, or casing, just push into the clay, so it should go quick.

Any thoughts on doing a little pyrography on it? With different tips on the woodburner you could do some cool stuff tattoo wise.

I have thought of doing some tooled pieces for my Dodge 1 ton, but the summers here are brutal. Besides drying the leather out, I don't need fried thighs when I jump in the truck. Interior temps can reach 160+ , and I have recorded body panel temps of 177. Here it is February, and it is supposed to reach 75 today.

I was thinking that if you rolled out a sheet of polymer clay the size of the panel you could do a realistic mock up which could be easily changed. No hammering, or casing, just push into the clay, so it should go quick.

Any thoughts on doing a little pyrography on it? With different tips on the woodburner you could do some cool stuff tattoo wise.

I have thought of doing some tooled pieces for my Dodge 1 ton, but the summers here are brutal. Besides drying the leather out, I don't need fried thighs when I jump in the truck. Interior temps can reach 160+ , and I have recorded body panel temps of 177. Here it is February, and it is supposed to reach 75 today.

Ya the polymer thing works ok on small stuff, but the impressions won't last, no reason for any more mocking up, i have started with the knife work already.. I have done quite a bit of pyrography, usually on shoes or small bags that are not real leather, and the problem with the wood burner is consistency, without owning a 500€ temp control unit it is pretty hard to keep the burn consistent. I do use the wood burner quite a lot for various projects but not for these door panels.Plus even when you are done you still have to brush in black dye; so really in the end the old school methods of stylus, knife and bevel,and backgrounders really do work the best.

No worries about temps here the hottest it gets is 93 f and that is rare...Summers here are normally around 85 tops.. not to rub it in but it is for sure one of the top reasons I like living here. But with that, we also here brutal winters that last till March. So riding season is short, but driving in the snow is great fun as well:) There is a lot of motorcycle guys here that when winter comes they bust out the 2" ice spike tires and go racing to kill some time, I haven't done it yet, but it looks like a blast!

This is going to be really cool!

Happy to be following along for the ride, so keep us posted and lots of photos please

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

That will be a cool project for sure. I'm just having a hard time getting my head around the 200 plus hrs each deal. Even at 20.00 per hour you are talking 4000.00 per panel? So the guy is going to have 8k in door panels min on a ratrod truck? Dang if you pull anywhere close to that I will consider you the jedi master of all things leather.:cheers:

I gave a rough quote and put a price on the panels. Anything over 2,000 I allow Monthly payments for the next year:) I am keeping a real good log "as always" on the time spent so I will know the hours, I will let y'all know how long it took:) He has been one of my best clients, getting me a lot of work, he is also a pinstriper, so we are haggling a little trade work , but it is only an hour for hour trade, and he might save about 15 hrs....I have a Gretsch Guitar that needs some striping:) We are great friends, he has brought me about A LOT of work and he is getting a friend hook up, but I still don't give away time:) We are both happy:) He has already bought all the materials and will be put to work helping me lace these monsters with a triple loop stitch...hahahaha we already have another leather order in for the Bench Seat as well, I will be busy for a while but only putting in about 100hrs per month and doing other projects on my list between his hours. I have a 2 month wait list as it is already and people are bitting at the bit for their jobs as well. Plus motorcycle season is coming and that is when it really gets crazy! I have a Telecastor job coming as soon as the guy makes up his mind to either have us build him a dream tele or just cover his Fender Custom Shop Tele....my hands hurt even thinking about all that lace:)

Edited by chancey77