landm42006

Rectangular Hole Punch For Watch Straps

Well folks, the topic title says it all. I am looking for a punch that makes rectangular holes in leather. The punch can be a free handed tool, or can be mounted as in the plyer form that some punches are attacned to. The punch is to make a hole that is 2mm high by 3 - 4 mm wide.

I am also looking for a #2 edge beveler, as well as a supplier for wholesale watchstrap buckles.

Thanks for your time, and I hope that someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Marty

I'd be tempted to put a piece of steel tubing like brake line or something smaller in a vise and flattening it down to 2mm.

Sharpen the edges and you're good to go.

Kevin.

Tandy has an oval punch set as well down to 2.5mm x 4mm.

orlogimario1215.jpg

Please ignore the awesome watch. This is the hole style I am trying to replicate. I have an oval punch from Tandy, but it does not achieve the same tight, crisp holes that are on this professionally (probably machine made) strap.

Take an oval punch and crush it till it gets to the desired form. If it is hardened, you may have to anneal it first, reform it while "soft", then re-harden it. A good blacksmith or bladesmith should be able to accomplish this for you. Ask Bret at Brettuns Village where he gets his punches made and see if he can have one made for you.

Art

orlogimario1215.jpg

Please ignore the awesome watch. This is the hole style I am trying to replicate. I have an oval punch from Tandy, but it does not achieve the same tight, crisp holes that are on this professionally (probably machine made) strap.

Looking at your watch strap, those holes are die cut, all holes at once, one side of the band at a time, usually with a clicker or a production press. Notice how the grain is pulled down into the holes, that pretty much gives it away. Have the dies made, one for one side of the band and another for the other side. Get the leather, the dies, and the clicking machine together and you are in business. You get the leather finished before clicking, then it is just assembly and touch-up, edging etc.

Art

orlogimario1215.jpg

orlogimario1215.jpg

Looking at your watch strap, those holes are die cut, all holes at once, one side of the band at a time, usually with a clicker or a production press. Notice how the grain is pulled down into the holes, that pretty much gives it away. Have the dies made, one for one side of the band and another for the other side. Get the leather, the dies, and the clicking machine together and you are in business. You get the leather finished before clicking, then it is just assembly and touch-up, edging etc.

Art

Art

this is my strap, like the one in the photo above

does not exist, press clicker or anything, just a punch hammer, made by a craftsman. is all sewn and cut by hand. just for the record

002-1.jpg

Orloff,

Can I ask you where you had this great hole punch made?

Best regards from Munich!

really interested in knowing where i can find this punch... thank you

PM me if interested in this kind of multi punch tools, however i am in Mumbai but can be shipped world over.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:45 PM, goaninmumbai said:

PM me if interested in this kind of multi punch tools, however i am in Mumbai but can be shipped world over.

what else do u have?

It does seem to be difficult to find the multi one. Shame, it's a really good idea!

Go to ebay-leather-punches      multi punches in box  DIY 39 should

be on first page.  tx Lynn

Leather Craft Pattern has a three oval hole punch but it doesn't specify what size holes it makes. Just says it is for watch straps - http://www.leathercraftpattern.com/watch-belt-hole-punch

Never purchased from them before so can't vouch for that.