LarryDonaldson

Cobra series 3 sewing machine

Well I just jumped off the deep end of the pool and placed an order with Steve Tayrien for a new Cobra series 3. I'm planning on making holsters and gun related gear eventually for resale. I have a need for about 8 holsters myself. I have only sewn on my wifes sewing machine a couple of times over the years and played with leather in my teens. At age 56 I'm trying to find an alternate retirement income for the future other than machining. After I recieve the machine I will write a review of my experience. I enjoyed talking with Steve during the placement of my order and he seems extremely knowledgeable. He is currently out of stock but expecting a new shipment withing 2-4 weeks. Will keep you appraised.

Nothing like a well armed man (or woman). You'll enjoy your new machine, Steve is the Best. While learning, gather plenty of scrap, and sew everything, cover it with stitches; start and stop, turn corners, but take it slow at first as it makes the same stitches going fast or slow. Stitch in a groove or to a line at first, till you learn how the machine operates and how to guide the work without unnecessarily pulling or pushing it. Run out of bobbin a couple of times so you know what that looks like and how to recover. Don't figit with the knobs too much at first, it should come set-up. Have fun.

Art

I have a need for about 8 holsters myself.

Well I just jumped off the deep end of the pool and placed an order with Steve Tayrien for a new Cobra series 3. I'm planning on making holsters and gun related gear eventually for resale. I have a need for about 8 holsters myself. I have only sewn on my wifes sewing machine a couple of times over the years and played with leather in my teens. At age 56 I'm trying to find an alternate retirement income for the future other than machining. After I recieve the machine I will write a review of my experience. I enjoyed talking with Steve during the placement of my order and he seems extremely knowledgeable. He is currently out of stock but expecting a new shipment withing 2-4 weeks. Will keep you appraised.

Hey Larry, guess you and I will be comparing notes on our new machines. Seems Steve has been a busy man lately!

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive.

Hilly

Larry,

U have PM...

Please let us know what you think! I met to Steve at the WESA show in Denver earlier this year and had my heart set on an Artisan. I got his Cobra packet in the mail this week and I'm definitely interested.

I got one of the first cobra ever shipped to a customer and Steve has been great!

Please let us know what you think! I met to Steve at the WESA show in Denver earlier this year and had my heart set on an Artisan. I got his Cobra packet in the mail this week and I'm definitely interested.

Go with Steve because you really are buying the customer service the machines are pretty much the same.

I just got my cobra series 4 this past week. The machine is great and Steve has never missed a call from me asking silly newbie questions.

Receipt of payment confirmed on 4-17-09. Just waiting on the boat at this point. Scored some used hand tools this week. Got 5 Craftool stamps, swivel knife, 12 Osborne type hole punches, a skiving knife, head knife, 3 size snap set kit, and a video of Dusty instructions on holster making. All for $25 what a deal. The knives weren't high quality but I've got them sharpened as well as the hole punches. Still probably a couple of weeks out on delivery of the sewing machine so I think I will order some leather and have started on some patterns for the holsters I need.

Update: The machine arrived in great condition and packaged well. Stand bolted to pallet and boxes next to stand. You can see pictures on shorts blog, mine arrived packaged the same. I got off to a slow start I'm a beginner so I was careful. I assembled the machine, powered up and ran for a moment to make sure everything went round and round and up and down. My leather hadn't arrived so I waited another week till it showed up so that I had something to sew. Steve had forgot to send me the DVD on the machine set up but it arrived before the leather did, so I strung it up. Is that proper terminology? Not!

After the leather arrived I cut of 2pcs of 6/7 weight and following the instructions tried a little sewing. Sewed about 6 inches and decided I wanted to change the speed. It has electronic control and feed back on the servo motor. As soon as I hit the down button to adjust speed it would not start again. If I hit the peddle and goosed the hand wheel it would start but it pulsed. It was as if the control wasn't getting proper feed back from the speed control mechanism. That was on a Friday after noon. I called Steve and he shipped me a new motor the same day. What a champ.

The new motor has been installed and works great. I played with tensions and got it set for 2 layers of 6/7 weight rather quickly. I sewed, backstitched, practiced a 90 degree turn and curves, then went for it. I have sewn 3 holsters, first two went well and 3rd not so well. I was using a left presser foot and on one side of the holster I changed my stitch direction and the foot was to close to the edge and the foot pushed the leather into the slot on the lower plate. Oh well I learned something and that was the whole reason for those first holsters.

I have to say I am quite pleased with the machine and Steve. I was leary about going with a new start up company but Steve's experience and willingness to share it convinced me. I'm waiting for the table extension to arrive and everything will be complete. I'm looking forward to many years of use on this machine and am happy with my choice. As a manufacturer myself I have built, bought, and sold lots of metal working machinery over the years. The quality of the Cobra is great and would recomend it to anyone.

Hey Larry,

I am considering the Cobra 3. Glad to see that you are very happy with it. How long did it take you to put it together? Were you able to do all of this by yourself or did you need someones help? Was it all very heavy? It looks very interesting as it can actually be wheeled around if need be. I am working out of my kitchen so I would need to be able to move it easily. Is it pretty quiet when it's running?

Thanks and happy sewing!

Larry,

Congrtats on your new machine. I purchased the Artisan 3000 a few months ago & thus far pleased. You will be happy you ordered the table extension - I am.

Ps0303 and others:

If memory serves me correct the loaded pallet weighs about 300 lbs. I had it delivered to my place of work and unloaded it with a forklift. No tailgate lift required. If you want it delivered at home you might want to request a tailgate lift delivery. That usually costs a little more. Another alternative is that you remove the poly wrap cut the straps and pull the parts off the truck individually. Some times that annoys the drivers, others are willing to deal with it. That should only take about 5-10 minutes. The sewing head is the heaviest box at about 90 lbs (best quess) Steve could tell you better. I transfered the whole pallet to my truck and took it home. I uncrated carried in the head and other box by myself. I then used a motorcycle ramp and slid the stand down it to ground level by myself. Having a second pair of hands is helpful but not required if you lift and work smart. As far as assembly you can probably do it in under 30 minutes. Bolt on the casters to the stand first then mount the head to the machine, install the hand wheel, attach the belt and bobbin winder. Attach the accessory light and vroom your ready to go. The machine is quiet and smooth and rolls easily. You just need a 2' x 2' space to store when not using. The machine comes with a package of 10 needles all one size. If you know what you are going to sew make sure you get the proper needle size from Steve. The machine comes with a small 1/4lb spool of thread so figure out what size thread you want and Steve can supply that also. I ordered a table extension for mine also because I knew in the future I would be sewing other items that would require it. In the near future I'm going to order what he calls the blanket kit for feeding canvas, webbing and the like. The machine is packaged with tools, oil, spare bobbins, everything you need to get started. Just be sure to get the proper needle and thread for the projects you want to do. His thread and needle prices are very competitive don't bother shopping it around. I wasn't sure how long a bobbin would last and haven't finshed my first one yet and have done 4 holsters so far and it still going strong. Making tension adustments are easy and a little common sense makes quick work of it.

Hey Larry,

I am considering the Cobra 3. Glad to see that you are very happy with it. How long did it take you to put it together? Were you able to do all of this by yourself or did you need someones help? Was it all very heavy? It looks very interesting as it can actually be wheeled around if need be. I am working out of my kitchen so I would need to be able to move it easily. Is it pretty quiet when it's running?

Thanks and happy sewing!

I'm not Larry, but I must say that the customer service is the absolute BEST!

It takes about 10 -20 minutes to put together. All you do is attach the wheels to the stand, drop in the machine head, and hook up the belts and a couple of chains for the pedals, attach the tread stand and light, attach the winder, plug it in, and you're good to go! You will need 2 strong guys to do this, as the machine head is very heavy! Also, if you prefer to sit while you sew instead of standing, you will need 2 strong guys to lower the stand for you. The weight of the machine and stand is about 325 pounds. It rolls around very easily on the wheels, or stays put when you lock the wheels. It is very quiet. None of the constant humming of a clutch type motor!

I got one a couple of weeks ago, and love it.

Edited by Hilly

I took delivery of my class 4 from Steve 2wks ago ,Steves been great and I am learning to drive the "beast", spend time on scraps at first!Also use a size smaller thread on the bobbin side,Example 346 top 277 bobbin or 277 top and 207 bobbin.this machine is smooth and powerful!Quiet as well.

I absolutely LOVE-LOVE-LOVE!!! my new Cobra Class 3 stitcher! I was on pins and needles waiting for the trucker to call - especially as the freight forwarding outfit messed up on some paperwork and it got delayed over a weekend....

Trucker called me, and suggested he take his (54 foot long trailer) rig into my little town of Sultan and meet me behind the feed store, as he does deliveries there a lot and knew he could get in and out easily. When I got there, the feed store folks already had the pallet off the truck and waiting on their forklift to put it on my old flatbed! I told the trucker, you can tell I buy a LOT of horse feed :) I had to wait until hubby got home that night to get it off the truck and into the big shop, using his forks on the loader.

Next day I unpacked everything and then tried to move the box the head came in.. OOOF. bigger than I am. Put up the big ladder and hung the chainfall from a rafter, tied the head up in a nice rope sling, and then hoisted it up and rolled the table under it - easy!

After a couple of false starts, and one call to Steve to make sure I had the right wires hooked up to the right places, I rolled it into my shop in the back and dug out some scrap to try it on - WOW.... Just WOW. This thing is magnificent. It makes sewing heavy leather EASY. OF course, my point of view is coming from an old Landis #1, but still - infinitely adjustable speed control (my first servo motor!) is a wonderful thing, and the stitch quality is very good. Steve is great - instant answers, and easy to get. I ordered additional needle sizes and thread already, and am loving this - my first new sewing machine, after all these years. and it has REVERSE - will wonders never cease.

Oh, yes - and the bobbin winder works PERFECTLY. That is something of a miracle, in my experience!

Huge thanks to Steve, I am a very happy Cobra owner.

Kate

New report on the Cowboy ..off today.. Happy BD America! I recovered a shop shop stool in Leather today and did an acceptable job just for practice.Love the new machine!Will post a pic later.

I'm waiting for my Cobra class 4 to arrive. I'm very jealous of you guys that already have your new "toys".

Steve is first class!!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

After much discussion with him my order for a Cobra class 3 will be going in tomorrow!!

I can't wait to get this machine.

Thanks again Steve.

Steve is first class!!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

After much discussion with him my order for a Cobra class 3 will be going in tomorrow!!

I can't wait to get this machine.

Thanks again Steve.

You will be glad like I have said before, your buying the customer service!