Mike516

Bought A C.s. Osbourne Draw Gauge, Seems Just A Bit Off

I just bought this draw gauge and unless I'm using it wrong, it seems a bit off. I've been using the cheap wooden one from Tandy and never used one of these so it could be I just don't know how to use it.

When I tighten the ruler part into the handle, the ruler is a bit off. It's not straight on the measurement line and the leather slightly rolls up going through the gauge.

I'm going to try and take a picture if that would be helpful.

But I was wondering, is this normal?

Here it is. If you can make it out, I would say the ruler is off by about a sixteenth.

Look at the 1 inch line. The ruler is flush with the base of the handle. If I try and screw it down straight,as soon as I try and draw the leather through, it moves and loosens up.

post-27080-0-40437500-1384556902_thumb.j

Edited by Mike516

Mike, Is it new or old? The gibs look new, but an old style. The nice thing about having gibs front and back of the beam is you can tune these pretty easily. If it is old, first thing I'd suggest is taking the rear gib out and switching it end for end. When they went to the cast models (and Henry Ford's technique of interchangeable parts) some of the handles and beams didn't always mate up to be 100% true. The gib could have a little more taken down on one side vs, the other and correct that discrepancy (like a shim). If that gib gets replaced or even reversed along the way, they don't line up. If it makes no difference to switch ends then one side will need to be taken down. some wet-dry sandpaper on a flat surface and leaning to the one side will take one end lower. It usually doesn't take much. Final little note, don't totally trust the longer lines on the scale for lining things up. The blade slot is what is important. check how parallel the blade is vs. the side of the handle. I have seen them recent and old with the slot slightly off vs. the scale marks, but true with the handle. That is what makes them work. Hope this helps.

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate the information and suggestions.

It's supposed to be brand new, but I was thinking it could be a second that Osborne was not planning on selling, then the guy on eBay got ahold of them.

I'm going to try switching the gibs this weekend when I get back and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I messaged the seller, but I don't think he's going to answer me. He doesn't seem to be much of a communicator, but we'll see.

Thanks again.

Mike, This very well could be new and the gibs are different than the replacement ones. If it is new I seriously doubt switching the gibs will make a difference. It was parted together, stuck in a box, and sent on. If the seller doesn't get back to you, I'd work on the rear gib to tune it and get the blade and handle parallel. One thing that will help after that is sharpening the blade. They aren't close to being sharp enough new.

I'm going to try and get in touch with the seller and see if he can do something for me. I'm not really into having to file anything down or modify on a new tool to get it to work right when it should in the first place.

I do appreciate your advice. I wondered if it was something I was doing but it seems that the item needs to be replaced or refunded. Next time I buy from a reputable seller. Maybe if I can get a refund I'll visit your shop and buy one of your CSO metal handle Draw Gauges, which I should have done in the first place.

I'm going to try and get in touch with the seller and see if he can do something for me. I'm not really into having to file anything down or modify on a new tool to get it to work right when it should in the first place.

I do appreciate your advice. I wondered if it was something I was doing but it seems that the item needs to be replaced or refunded. Next time I buy from a reputable seller. Maybe if I can get a refund I'll visit your shop and buy one of your CSO metal handle Draw Gauges, which I should have done in the first place.

Unfortunately you will probably HAVE to fine tune any tool and new ones are no exception, some manufacters have to meet a price point and unfortunately fit and finish suffer greatly at times. Like Bruce stated new is nowhere near sharp, unfortunately. I've spent hours sharpening and polishing so called "polished" punches.

I have no problem sharpening a blade. But if I have to modify a tool to make it work properly, that's just too much.

What if I sand it down too far or something? Now I ruined it and the seller is off the hook. No, I don't think I'm going to bother with all that. I guess I'll just stick with my Tandy wooden strap cutter.

True. Did you try flip flopping the gibs as Bruce suggested?

For straps off a side I prefer a rotary cutter and straight edge.

Edited by J Hayes

Yes, I tried switching the gibs top to bottom and flipped them around, so 4 different positions. It's off about a full 16th of an inch. I can cut strips but the leather folds after the handle and frays the edges. It's not the end of the world but I really expected this thing to be at least as good as the wood one from Tandy.

So I returned it and now the seller is telling me he evaluated and compared it to 3 others and he's confident it will work perfectly. He's going to be a real pain in the a$$, I can see it already.

The other thing that roasts me, and it wasn't bothering me but now I'm getting annoyed and it's all going to build up, he charged $7.50 for shipping. I know everyone says they have to pay for packing material and boxes etc etc. but he wrapped it in newspaper and put it in a small flat rate box so $0 cost to him for materials but he overcharged anyway. I'm not looking to make a stink even though he should have paid an extra couple of bucks and mailed it in something that it fit in, but now he's going to give me a hard time.

Well...I get irritated by high shipping too, but it's not just for packing materials...you're also paying for their time to pack it and take it to the post office, plus gas to get there, etc.

My mail carrier picks up my packages when I ship though, so I don't have to deal with that, but I guess some sellers might...

I drop my packages off as well, but I guarantee next day shipping. Otherwise, as you say, you can schedule a pick up for them, so the buyer shouldn't get hit with a charge for that. It's only a couple of bucks, but over the course of a year this guy probably makes out like a bandit.

Yes, I tried switching the gibs top to bottom and flipped them around, so 4 different positions. It's off about a full 16th of an inch. I can cut strips but the leather folds after the handle and frays the edges. It's not the end of the world but I really expected this thing to be at least as good as the wood one from Tandy.

So I returned it and now the seller is telling me he evaluated and compared it to 3 others and he's confident it will work perfectly. He's going to be a real pain in the a$$, I can see it already.

The other thing that roasts me, and it wasn't bothering me but now I'm getting annoyed and it's all going to build up, he charged $7.50 for shipping. I know everyone says they have to pay for packing material and boxes etc etc. but he wrapped it in newspaper and put it in a small flat rate box so $0 cost to him for materials but he overcharged anyway. I'm not looking to make a stink even though he should have paid an extra couple of bucks and mailed it in something that it fit in, but now he's going to give me a hard time.

Mike, Sorry to hear about continuing problems. It is sure possible he could be comparing yours to three others that are off just the same. It may take some emails of the pictures directly to Osborne to get somewhere here. It wouldn't be the first run of tools they have had problems with. Several years ago they had some bad cantle pliers, I have seen the draw gauges like yours and have been able to tune them to work though. I get some old ones like that rarely, but more common with recent manufacture - TLF and Osborne. My thoughts are that it in your deal should be fixed at the corporate level, not by an Ebay reseller. However it is much like some other modern makers here and abroad, They seem to be riding the reputation of the tools their grandfathers put out, and have to/choose to cut corners now to be price competitive. FWIW, I use a wooden strap cutter as well for some things. I have had a few of the Original Strap Cutters and not a problem. A few years ago the wooden strap cutters went on sale at TLF. I thought it would be nice to have 4 set to the common widths. A buddy picked them up for me and they were now a TLF item, not the "Original" they previously sold. Three of the first four were off in the blade slot. I went to the store and between the manager and I, we could not find anymore of the lot that were true. I haven't heard much since so expect that problem may have been somewhat corrected.

Charging way more than it cost for shipping is a biggie for me to. I was going to but something the other night and everthing was fine till i got the shipping. $12.50 for something that would fit a small flat rate box or heaven forbid they acutely weighted and it put it in a regular USPS box. I send quite a few things out through the mail and charge $6.00 for priority mail. Sometimes it a little less sometimes a little more so i know what it should cost or close to it anyway. That person lost my business by gouging on the shipping. I guess some sellers don't care and more important customers don't care.

Edited by dirtclod

I have several draw gages of different persuasions, and a couple of wooden ones too. A while ago I broke down after 20 years of using them, and bought a plough gage from Bruce. Now I can't imagine using anything else. The draw gages are just collecting dust hanging on the wall. Nothing like a good tool!! !Bob

@Bruce, it looks like the guy I'm dealing with isn't a saddle maker as I had thought. If he was, I can't imagine him having to take more than one look at the tool to determine it's off. And the fact that he's comparing it to other tools bewilders me. Still waiting for a reply, but I did give him instructions on how to test it. If the next message from him isn't; "your refund is on the way" I'm going to do something I have never done and that I HATE having to do and this guy for making me do it...I'm opening a case on him and I'll just eat the return shipping.

@dirtclod, overcharging for shipping seems to be common practice these days. I must be getting old, but I feel like it isn't fair to overcharge. A lot of people estimate because they're too lazy or too cheap to weigh their merchandise. I ship mainly with free shipping. But for things I can't ship for free, I have a 25lb digital scale and weigh everything so there's no discrepancy. I'm about done buying on eBay. Too many dishonest sellers.

@Bob, The plough gauges are nice, just a little pricey for me right now. I may revisit this in a few months, but right now for a hobby they're a little steep for me.

Looks like I'll get original purchase price plus shipping but I'm going to eat the return shipping. On a defective tool. What a shame.