rcsaddles

halter hardware

I am looking for hardware for mule halters. I have talked to Herb Bork in Pendleton, OR about making some strong rings and halter rings. Also considering stainless steel from Weaver.

Anyone have any other ideas? These items need to be storng as it is used to pack into the Bob Marshall Wilderness here in Montana. When you go in about 23 miles you have to be able to trust your equipment.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

I am looking for hardware for mule halters. I have talked to Herb Bork in Pendleton, OR about making some strong rings and halter rings. Also considering stainless steel from Weaver.

Anyone have any other ideas? These items need to be storng as it is used to pack into the Bob Marshall Wilderness here in Montana. When you go in about 23 miles you have to be able to trust your equipment.

Thanks,

HI

I have used the Weaver SS hardware on several heavy duty halters with doubled and trippled 1" nylon web and they will pretty much hold up to anything a four legged beast can dish out! The brass hardware will bend and deform and break long before the SS will. I have used these on a 1200 pound horse who had a reputation for breaking halters, he could not break this one though he certainly tried, darn near hung himself in the process, but that is another story.

Are you looking for yourself or a customer? If it's for yourself and you really want an unbreakable halter I highly recommend going to 5/16" a rope halter...they won't break! Otherwise I'd probably go to heavy steel rings. I think they would be stronger than halter hardware.

Hope this helps...

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Thanks,

I think i would go the KISS route and steer away from any cast items even in SS. Im sure the cast SS halter squares are fine, but if youre going to be in the boonies, i would keep the hardware as simple as possilbe. you maynot have a choice on a halter bulkle, but there are other options too.

I think if you can find some SS welded rings, you would be okay. I dont know about having them made since Weaver sells them. If you have any Nautical store in your area (i doubt it), they would carry SS hardware too. If you have any True Value Hardware stores i would check there. We have a couple that carry some odd/neat stuff.

another place to look is some of the outdoor/climbing outfitters. If it has to do with climbing, its safety rated and should have been tested or made to certain specs.