Jhunterackerman

How Does One Dye Deer Hide?

I'm having a serious problem dying a deer skin coat I'm currently making.

I've done a lot of leather work over the years, but this is the first time I've worked with deer hide.

I wanted to do the top side burgundy and the suede side mahogany, and despite how well this worked on swatches, it's bleeding through in a ruinous way.

My adjustment was that I would just have to do both sides burgundy, but unexpectedly, the underside seems to have bled through even when using the same color below as above and still makes what look like ugly water stains.

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice you have on how to complete this project.

And would you recommend using any sort of finish when this color problem is worked out?
(i.e. Neatsfoot oil? Leather balm with Atom Wax?)

Gratefully,
Hunter Ackerman

What dye are you currently using, which company and type?

How are you trying to dye it?

I think you'd need an airbrush to put it on thin enough it doesn't bleed through

What Colt said.

As well, you may just want to give up, cut your losses and dye the whole hide, both sides, black or something other dark enough to cover the splotches. Use it for a different project.

Get a new hide and try again. To attempt to even-out a dye job that has bled through partially in places sounds like a nightmare. You could very likely spend the cost of another hide in time and dye only to fail anywhoo.