Journey Leather

Padding A Leather Item

Can someone explain how to pad something, for example a dog collar in the attached (forum members) photo:

http://leatherworker...=1

The leather that is used for lining for instance, are the edges folded over then sewn? If not, how are the edges finished? What is used for padding this item?

Thanks,

JourneyLeather

Edit to fix typo

Edited by JourneyLeather

i have used foam padding to pad a collar (on my motorcycle jacket) in the past. i simply used a low density foam that would be used in upholstery work.

edit.....i guess i didn't really explain how i did it. in my case, i sewed up the top of the collar about half way. i used a coat hanger with a loop on the end of it. i put the foam in the loop (about 12" x 1" x 3/4" foam strip) and pulled it into the open seam of the collar from one end until it was fully inside of the collar. then i sewed up the opening.

Edited by ramrod

i have used foam padding to pad a collar (on my motorcycle jacket) in the past. i simply used a low density foam that would be used in upholstery work.

edit.....i guess i didn't really explain how i did it. in my case, i sewed up the top of the collar about half way. i used a coat hanger with a loop on the end of it. i put the foam in the loop (about 12" x 1" x 3/4" foam strip) and pulled it into the open seam of the collar from one end until it was fully inside of the collar. then i sewed up the opening.

Hi - I'm a new guy - so YMMV with this idea that I use.

At your local fabric store I buy this dual sided interfacing with some loft (some of it gets pretty cushiony) that I like - its sticky when heated with an iron. I cut a shape slightly smaller than the soft lining I use, then iron it on. I peel the other side, fold the edges in place, and then mount it to the leather. Then, I slap it on a machine or use waxed linen (four-thread) to handstitch it on.

the interfacing creates the padding and cushion, and sticks to the leather to finish the work. Even if it comes off the lining and the leather, its stitched into place already so the interfacing in essence becomes a floating pad.

Peace

Duskshade