I've seen different styles of bullet belt loops out there, and I'm wondering how to make them.

Is there a good book that describes the technique and 'how to' for these types of ammunition holders? I would like to learn how to make the built in / attached and slide type.

Thanks

Will ghormley's patterns have the slide in type pretty clearly laid out. the other kind, I know how to do but its really hard to explain without showing.

I can't reference you to any books, but I learned everything to get me started here in the forums. I started with just "bullet loops" in search and found some real good information. I also Googled it and found some interesting ways on you tube and some directed me back to these forums and turned up info I didn't get when I used the search on this site.

I also picked up the John Bianchi videos and learned quite a bit more about sewn loops.

I pretty much sew loops now unless a customer chooses the loops run behind the belt, most of them didn't want to pay the extra for the additional work and others wanted something "traditional". After watching the videos and a little practice I can sew them a heck of a lot faster.

Hope this helps a little.

I can't reference you to any books, but I learned everything to get me started here in the forums. I started with just "bullet loops" in search and found some real good information. I also Googled it and found some interesting ways on you tube and some directed me back to these forums and turned up info I didn't get when I used the search on this site.

I also picked up the John Bianchi videos and learned quite a bit more about sewn loops.

I pretty much sew loops now unless a customer chooses the loops run behind the belt, most of them didn't want to pay the extra for the additional work and others wanted something "traditional". After watching the videos and a little practice I can sew them a heck of a lot faster.

Hope this helps a little.

+1 on the Bianchi videos. He shows to to do the sew on style. However, he additionally goes into what type and weight of leather to use and how to measure for different calibers. I haven't made any slide or snap on styles, but I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult once you learn how to space and sew them. There are other members that I hope will chime in that have posted the other methods such as the slide and snap on styles.

If you go over to Cascity.com and do a search for bullet loops , cartridge, holders, belt slides, and cartridge belts. You will find several threads with how to's and I think belt loop tutorial. You will find how to weave loops how to sew loops, how to do belt slide and even shotshell loops. There is also a chart that gives the spacing for different callibers for on the belt and the loop strip for both woven and sewn loops. Also do a search for bullet loops or cartridge loops on this forum. Here is one thread that has some mini tutorials on bullet loops http://leatherworker...+loop +tutorial

Here are a few items that may help

Spacing for stitching loops

20 gauge single loop...1 3/4" on the loop and 7/8" on the slide

20 gauge double loop..2 3/8" on the loop and 1 3/4" on the slide (as shown in picture)

12 gauge sinlge loop....2 1/8" on the loop and 1" on the slide (as shown in picutre)

12 gauge double loop..2 7/8" on the loop and 1 7/8" on the slide

45 Colt....1 3/8" on the loop and 5/8" on the belt

.38/.357..1 1/8" on the loop and 9/16" on the belt

.32 cal. ..1" on the loop and 1/2" on the belt

.500 S&W mag...1 1/2" on the loop and 5/8" on the belt

post-15001-0-04430000-1352358181_thumb.j

post-15001-0-60936800-1352358213_thumb.j

Edited by camano ridge