Sign in to follow this  

Hello and welcome to leatherworker!

That is a fine looking first project and the skullcrew here always appreciate a new member!

Your carving and tooling is way nicer than my first projects and going with a the basket weave stamp is brave and bold.

You're on your way with that and will pick up more skill with time so I focus my pointers to two other things.

First thing I notice is that the stitching is not all the way around the edges but the holes are so it looks a bit unfinished and the second is that the edges are raw.

Some people prefer a natural looking cut edge but I think most of us put a lot of energy into slicking them to high gloss level.

If you are in the first category I'd just recommend you dye them black. Antiquing stain is good for edges but black dye will also do.

If you like a really smooth and clean edges you could try wet it a bit and rub it with a cloth. Theres lot's of ways to deal with edges. I use Tandys bonefolder to rub the edges with and this can create a very high gloss to them.

Tom

Looks good! You might want to smooth out the edges a bit more.

ArtS

A great piece of work, very well done.

My only thought is that the mix of styles may not work. I feel that Western - Sheridan - works well, skulls are good, basket weave is great. I am not so sure about a mix of them all. Perhaps it is a plethora of tecniques.

Great work

well as for the stiching. i was trying to use the leather lacing but it broke 1/4 of the way into it. so i had to pull it all out and all that was left was wax threed. and didnt know how it would affect the leather if i used the thread all the way around like with the leather lacing. as if it would bunch it up. i just need to learn how to lace with leather. it looks alot better then the wax thread. whats the difference between the raw and finished edges? also as for dying or tinting. do you usually put the dye on first then the tint? or the other way around? also do you dye or tint the back side of the leather also?

thanks for the help

alex

Sorry but I say if it feels good mixing the styles the run with it. I love experimentaition. I don't know that I fully am a master of anything cause I keep trying different stuff. Just me though...

This looks good and you really should be proud.

A plethora?.....LOL :deadsubject: Ok El Guapo.

String break is bound to happen sooner or later when lacing so I always carry more lace than needed and knowing how to splice is a must. Working with too long laces just takes to much time and wear out the lacing and it breaks.

A finished edge is usually when you use a special cutter called edge beveler to round off the edge ( can be sanded too) and then you rub it wet or with gum-tragacant (there is as many ways to finish an edge as there are leatherworkers I think) with a cloth of jeans or a bonefolder from Tandy or a plastic splined wheel on a drill etc to burnish the edge. This will smoothen and round off the edge and finally produce a veeery high gloss surface.

Another method I like is to wet leather through and cut out my piece with a really sharp utility knife but the cut must go through at once so little tricky there if the cutting line is curved too much but this produces (for me anyways) a glassy looking cut edge wich is not beveled. Then after dying or antiquing the edge I apply litle gum-trag and polish it up to gloss again with that bonefolder.

This is by far not an complete answer but a step on the way if you wish to pursue finished edges, it's just a matter of personal taste and I like raw edges sometimes, when it's called for.

When the eye looks at something it usually follows the contours of the viewed object around and then searches off what's inside and my theory is that this is why most people are keen on the edges, it's the first thing we notice unless there is something really interesting inside, that's when a raw edge could be called for.

Tom

Tom