Sign in to follow this  
raysouth

Museum For Leathercraft?

Howdy all,

Wondering if there are any leathercraft museums and thought some of you may know of one or more. Never run upon one so curious if a bonafide museum exists, dedicated to leathercraft.

God Bless.

Ray

Ray, The best overall is the Don King Museum in Sheridan, WY. Don was a saddle maker, tool maker, and tool seller. He has a lot of saddles in there from about every maker of note historically, plus tools he had collected over the years. Upstairs is the Al and Ann Stohlmann display and the whole thing is very worthwhile. A couple other museums have more or less permanent displays of a recreation of a saddle shop. The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY has a good one. There is also a display at the High Plains museum in Spearfish, SD. There's one in the panhandle or west TX and somebody will have to help me out there with which one. We have a saddlemaking and carving tool display at our local cowboy museum I helped put together. It was a set to be a 5 month temporary display, and was extended another 5 months bedcause of the reviews. We are taking it down this next weekend to make way for another display coming in. I don't know what kind of feedback is at other museums, but this one has received good comments from the unititiated and professional saddlemakers alike.

Thank you, Bruce.

It is interesting to know that the craft is recognized and items preserved for others to enjoy in the future.

Might be an interesting proposition for someone with a desire to open a small museum, housing items made by various folks as we see here on the site.

Plenty of talent and should be a place to see the varied items that can be made. Sure that there are many folks that would love to display their craft in a museum setting.

Each time I search and surf the net, I find another creative item of leather that someone has developed. There is no limit to the creative ability of folks. Regardless of length of life, there is always something new to see around the next bend. Hope there is the desire to develop such a museum for all of the varied leathercrafts we see today. Amazing stuff------

God Bless.

Ray

the TLF in Ft Worth,Tx has a great museum....and i think theres still a great display set up at the Ft Worth stock yards....Jim Linnell has recently completed work on his new studio(close to Ft Worth) and its pretty much like a museum as well...ive been out there a cpl times for workshops...its a true delight to live in an area where where leather thrives...even better that i get to be friends with some of the masters :).