Shed Tinkerer

Found Myself A Sewing Machine....what Now? Singer 31K47 Questions From A Newbie

Hi there all you experts,

I would love to do some upholstery work on my '78 Ford F250. Start off with some easier things like dashpads and sunvisors and eventually make a new cover for my benchseat....but first...a very steep learning curve. :-)
I've been looking for a while online for a nice bargain and finally got my hands on a Singer 31K47. It might not be the absolute prefect machine, slightly bigger stitch would've been perfect, but I think it's a great entry level practice machine and if I really get the hang of things I can always buy that bigger, better machine.

The speed of the machine is a little intimidating at the moment still...only just getting the hang of the slipping clutch. I'm thinking about installing a bolt under the footpedal so I can't press it in too far.

This machine does not have a reverse....so my question is....what do I do to secure the stitch?
1) Manually roll the wheel back a couple of stitches and go over it again?
2) Lift presser foot and move fabric a couple of stitches back and go over it again?
3) Condens stitches by flicking the stitch length knob up at the beginning at end of a seam?

Eventually I'd like to use piping....so I need set of piping feet. I live in Australia and haven't been able to find one here yet that is a usuable size (max 1/8" is a bit small). It has been suggested to me to get a normal feet set, cut off the right toe and use it as a left toe zipper foot. Will this do the job just as well or should I keep on the look out for a proper set of piping feet? Anybody have any - know where to get them??

The bobbin winder is missing the tensioning device. Should I invest in a new bobbin winder or can I just hold the thread between my fingers for a bit of tension for now.

I'm sure there will be plenty more questions to come....thank you for your help and patience!!

Still got the stem? A couple of smooth washers and a spring (or a folded piece of leather) will jury-rig a tensioning device for your bobbin winder.

I have no idea what the stem is but I have this: (see attached photo) I guess I can make up something with some washers and spare tensioning spring from the machine....great idea...why didn't I think of that??

How would I thread it though?? Through the tensioning disk...loop it behind the spring and then down through the little loop at the bottom and onto the bobbin?

post-36483-0-36376200-1425189011_thumb.j

That parts belongs to the 2-piece bobbin winder - see picture.

if you don´t have the main part I may have one if you are interested... will look for it later today.

post-31854-0-13959000-1425201239_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

Sorry - did not read the 1st post - you of course can buy a new bobbin winder, they are just $10 to $15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBBIN-WINDER-FOR-INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINES-2-1-2-SMALL-WHEEL-/160887974762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2575abab6a

Or buy a nut, a spring and two tension disc but a new bobbin winder is cheaper I think.

Piping feet are cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEWING-Zipper-PIPING-CORDING-FOOT-HIGH-SHANK-JUKI-BROTHER-HIGHLEAD-SINGER-CONSEW-/320961619446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4abacda5f6

When you are buying piping feet - always add the thickness of the material you wan to sew!!! Otherwise the cutout in the foot is too narrow.

When you are looking for accessory feet always make sure they have a "high shank" (don´t buy Pffaf feet, their shanks are even higher than the Singer shanks - at least the old ones)

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks Constabulary....but I do have the main part for the bobbin winder...I am just missing the tensioning set up on the remote part.

Those piping feet are very cheap indeed.....but would they fit my machine?? I have a walking foot (Singer 31K47)....so was thinking I might need 2 feet as a set...not just the one in that eBay link?

As you suggest, lifting the presser foot enough to move the material back a couple of stitches back and sew over again is a suitable way to lock the stitch. Another way is after sewing a seam is pull the top thread at the ends end of the seam to the underside and tying the top and bottom threads together. A surgeons knot is probably the most secure.

Thanks Constabulary....but I do have the main part for the bobbin winder...I am just missing the tensioning set up on the remote part.

Those piping feet are very cheap indeed.....but would they fit my machine?? I have a walking foot (Singer 31K47)....so was thinking I might need 2 feet as a set...not just the one in that eBay link?

Okay - I honestly I don`t know the wakling foot type of the 31K. The feet are different I think so forgot what I have said.

Do a search on google for Singer S35 feet

Another method for tying off the ends of your thread is to leave them long and finish off (back stitch) as a saddle stitch after you have done the machine sewing. Looks neater in many cases.

Tom

Do a search on google for Singer S35 feet

Question Bob.....could it be that for the 31K47 I need to look for S33 (inner foot) and S34 (outer foot)??

I found this on a UK site and they look like what is on my machine now.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/S34X3_8-OUTSIDE-PIPING-FOOT-SINGER-31K-USE-WITH-INNER-FOOT-S33

Cheers,

Jerome

Yes,the pair is S35.That looks like the right one.1/4" is most common here

To tie off your stitching when your doing upholstery you can sew alittle past where you started.

Edited by CowboyBob

if you are doing upholstery you don't usually need to lock in a stitch, start sewing from the edge and you'll find in most cases it will be sewn across by another seam.

the 31K is a quick machine, check the motor is 1425 not 2850rpm and reduce bottom pulley to 50mm.

Servo motor is always an option.

Steve (Singermania) and I stock them - I am in NSW.

Most people do piping with a left toe zipper foot which is also a good foot for most work