Joon1911

Which Brand Of Neatsfoot Oil Do You Use?

Just wondering if everyone here uses the Fiebing's neatsfoot oil? I am shopping for a new container of 100% neatsfoot oil and ran across the Sheps brand which is nearly half the cost of the Fiebings. Has anyone had experience with the Sheps? I've only used Fiebing's personally. Thanks in advance.

I use Fiebing's.

How much difference can there be in oil. As long as its pure brand shouldn't make a difference. I'd buy the sheps if it was me.

Sheps' huh?

Shep's is good. Thast what I use. In the winter I use Sheps Neatlene because it does not solidify when it is cold like the pure neats foot oil does.

It is my understanding that none of the neatsfoot oil is real anymore. There are other oils that are called neatsfoot.

I use #1 saddle oil from bee natural.

How much difference can there be in oil. As long as its pure brand shouldn't make a difference. I'd buy the sheps if it was me.

That was my thought exactly. They are both listed as 100% neatsfoot oil, so I wasn't sure why the great price disparity. I'm not even sure where neatsfoot oil comes from really.

Thanks for the responses, I think I'll try the Shep's to see how it compares to the Fiebings, but if anyone else has any experience with these or different manufacturers of neatsfoot oil ( or anything else that they use to return some of the oil to wetmoulded leather) I would appreciate your input greatly.

Shep's distributed by Weaver, is actually made by PFAU. The MSDS of their neatsfoot oil lists NO petrochemicals:

Mixture of variable composition of triglycerides and their components
Neatsfoot oil is a yellow oil rendered and purified from the shin bones and feet (but not the hooves) of cattle. "Neat" in the oil's name comes from an old name for cattle. Neatsfoot oil is used as a conditioning, softening and preservative agent for leather. In the 18th century, Modern neatsfoot oil is still made from cattle-based products, but now, while retaining its historic name, usually is made mostly from lard,[1] which is sold as pure neatsfoot oil.
I learned something this morning!
Cya!
Bob