anester05

Weight of leather for Tack Stuff

I want to make some tack stuff for my sisters horses. What weight leather should I use to make Halters, Breast Collars and Bridles. Tandy has this on sale Light Weight Saddle Skirting. Will this be fine or do I need to get the normal Saddle Skirting.

I get my skirting from http://www.siegelofca.com/ and use 10/12 oz and 13/15 oz. If you order over $75.00 they pay the shipping. I've been buying from them the last 10 or so years and their great folks to deal with. If you go to their website be sure to look for the Friday special link and sign up.

Dirtclod

If it were me doing breast collars and headstalls,I would use 9 10 oz. strap leather and line with 5 6 oz. latigo or strap leather.

Steve

If it were me doing breast collars and headstalls,I would use 9 10 oz. strap leather and line with 5 6 oz. latigo or strap leather.

Steve

Why do you line with latigo?

The oil tan will hold up longer with the sweat off the horse

So would 8-10oz for the top and backing with a thick latigo be good enough for any tack item or do I need a thicker top.