BlingTheMerciless

Howdy From New York

Hello all,

Been lurking on this great forum for a few weeks now trying to absorb all the knowledge. I have been very impressed with the photographs members have been posting of their works. I've never made anything out of leather in my life but decided to try my hand at an owb holster. The results were "interesting." I'm still in the "you don't know what you don't know phase" but am taking it one step at a time.

"Search" is my friend and I have used it plenty already and will be using it plenty more in the future.

A quick question before I duck out...does anyone know of any places in NYC where you can walk in and buy leather and leatehrworking supplies/tools (without getting ripped off) or am I limited to the internet to buy this stuff?

Thanks and look forward to being a part of the leatherworking community.

There is no place I know of in NYC but if you are ever in Mineola there is

http://www.onestopcandle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=LWS

Look up the Leather hut in Brooklyn, they sell some decent hides, no veg tan though. As far as tools go I haven't a clue. I'm only 45 mins from CS Osborne in Harrison NJ and I still pay$ 30 in shipping!! Figure that out.

In the garment district in manhattan there are plenty of places you can walk in and buy leather, but no place I'd particularly recommend... it's entirely hit-and-miss, and you're much more likely to find thin fashion and upholstery leathers versus thicker leathers or anything vegetable tanned. Leather tools are a different story, you're pretty much stuck with buying them on the internet.

Thanks CJ. I did see those leather Manhattan suppliers mentioned on the internet but i think you're right. They cater to fashion designers and not tooling.