Kowboyboots

laser Engraved Leather

Here is a couple pictures of what I mostly do with leather. The horses are laser engraved into the hair on hide, lines around the edges are also lasered.

The bread box is all hair on hide but the canisters are hair on just front & top, smooth sides & back.

I use old bread boxes & canisters I pick up at yard sales, etc. Recycle-GO GREEN!

bb4f.jpg

DVC04621.jpg

007.jpg

post-7468-1224126351_thumb.jpg

post-7468-1224126390_thumb.jpg

post-7468-1224126521_thumb.jpg

That's pretty cool. Especially the way the horses seem to running through the grass on the breadbox. The laser is a neat tool that can be used to come up with some very artistic work.

We use the laser all the time to cut parts and also to lay down patterns.

Here is a case we just finished where I designed the name in Corel Draw and then lasered etched it very lightly on the piece for Zhen Hai, our carver to work his magic on

DSC01541.jpg

Recycle - absolutely - and leatherwork is the perfect medium for doing this.

Your boxes are really lovely, and now I'm intrigued about the laser. Can you buy equipment to do this at home, or do you take your designs to a firm to have them applied to the leather?

Looks Beautiful... Can you smell the hair burning as the laser does its thing....

Ken

LOL, I come from a working cattle ranch, so the smell is nothing to me, just smells like branding time!

The laser's are available for around $10,000, cheaper if you get a foreign model but I don't know the quality of them. If you buy used make sure to check out the amount of Co2 left in it.

Watch them work at Laser Working

I love my laser, couldn't live with out it, even for my own craft projects.

i put a small pumkin in the rotary attachment the other, wow did that turn out neat and smelled so much better then the hair, LOL

Now that's one smart piece of equipment. I can see loads of uses for one. A little out of my price range for the moment though...

Laser pumpkin carving LOL, I love it!

Full Spectrum sells lasers for around $2k. I'm contemplating buying one - since I've been renting use on them for the last little while.

nice work. Is there anything special you needed to do to clean the carbon after it is burned?

When you etch onto the hair on sides, does it burn the hair off or does it just darken the hair? Couldn't really tell in the pictures. Also, for the pieces where you etch the edge lines, do you cut the pieces by hand or do you cut them with a laser?

Andrew

Is there anyone out there that does laser work?

I have a design I would like etched in leather for a guitar strap.

Any ideas of a ballpark figure $$$ ?

well you've inspired me to try lasering the hair-on wallets. Here are the results.

Looks like there is less detail available on the figures to use, but these types of open

silhouettes definately worked well. I just have to find some more.

Keep up the good work.

-Nick

http://www.lasered-stamps.com

post-2828-0-61602700-1383313640_thumb.jp

post-2828-0-18255900-1383313657_thumb.jp