NoahL

Need some help from sombody with a splitter

Hello Everyone,

I have some horsehide leather that I need to split down to about 4oz (it is 7-9oz leather), but I can't afford a splitter. Are there any leatherworkers in AZ who have a splitter and are willing to split for me? I don't expect it to be free, of course, but we can work out a payment/trade when the time comes. I just figured I would check on here. Thanks!

~Noah

Be more specific, are you looking a large full hide to be split? Or one inch straps cut from that hide, or thinner lace?

If your after full hide then only professional large companies who take thousand s of hides a year will be able to do that I think. In which case they might easily enough be able to skip your hide in with other cuts and charge very little. Especially if you can make friends with the guys who is cutting it.

If it's just straps and you have a draw gauge, making a splitter is really really easy. I made one with a mahagony skid 12 inches long, 2 shelf studs, 4 nails, one screw and a small strip of steel plate. ANd it includes it's own blade sharpening jig...Just chiek out my new bracelet thread on critique forum for pictures and guide.

It would have been for straps, but I made due without it in any case. Thanks for the tip, though, and I will definitely check out your bracelet thread!

~Noah

It would have been for straps, but I made due without it in any case. Thanks for the tip, though, and I will definitely check out your bracelet thread!

~Noah

Hey, Noah. I've seen a couple of postings of yours and thought I'd get in touch with you. I don't know how to get in touch directly with you or how to tell you to get in touch with me but, I have a small leather operation and can possibly help you both your quests. And I'm in AZ.