jbird

leather working apron needed

I need A apron made out of canvas or leather or something for my leather working, I have lost my last shirt to dye.

any offers pm me or post I am willing to look at all offers thanks.

Josh

P.S. used or new.

Something no worky.

I tried to post a pick of my apron made from a pillow case but it appears I launched it into cyberspace.

Barra

I need A apron made out of canvas or leather or something for my leather working, I have lost my last shirt to dye.

Josh

P.S. used or new.

Josh,

Hmmmmm a leather worker asking for a premade leather apron.

WINDY

Take a trip to town and go to a thrift store. Once there, find the gawd-awful-ugliest woman's dress you can in your size. Cut off the sleeves and trim to length.

Wear this dress any time you intend to dye leather where others can see you and I guarantee you'll never spill another drop

If you are looking for a leather apron in which to work, I suggest checking farrier supply, or black smith supply places for one.

Edited by TwinOaks

I appear to be having trouble posting to this topic. I made a simple apron out of an old pillow case. To me the length was perfect.

Barra

Harbor Freight sells a cool prewashed denim apron for 3.99. It has 3 pockets in it too. One pocket on the chest and 2 side pockets. Being on the side is easier to work with than one low pocket across the front. And if you are worried about the blue rubbing off on the leather just bleach the color out of it.

Tim

Lets see if this works.

I just knocked this up out of an old pillow case. The length was perfect as I find a long apron a nuisance when stitching with clams as you have to hoik the darn thing up.

Anyhoo. Measure between your shoulders (top of apron). Measure down the length of the pillow case to your hips. Join the two with a straight line. You can have a slight sweeping curve if you want. Get some cloth tape. One bit goes from your waist, over your head and back down to your waist. The width apart as your shoulder measurement. Stitch it on. Don't use the harness stitcher like I did (pucker city). And attach another cloth tape for the waist tie. I like it long enough to go behind your back and re-tie at the front for ease of tying. Between the tape that go over your head I added a pocket.

Barra

apron.JPG

post-1669-1228527537_thumb.jpg

I just knocked this up out of an old pillow case. The length was perfect as I find a long apron a nuisance when stitching with clams as you have to hoik the darn thing up.

Anyhoo. Measure between your shoulders (top of apron). Measure down the length of the pillow case to your hips. Join the two with a straight line. You can have a slight sweeping curve if you want. Get some cloth tape. One bit goes from your waist, over your head and back down to your waist. Stitch it on. Don't use the harness stitcher like I did (pucker city). And attach another cloth tape for the waist tie. I like it long enough to go behind your back and re-tie at the front for ease of tying.

apron.JPG

post-1669-1228528288_thumb.jpg

This forum is moderated to where the posts need approved before they are seen, and I've been driving all day. Sorry. We let guests post here, and sometimes spammers try to use this forum because they don't have to register to post. Sorry for the delays.

Johanna

Thanks Johanna and Twinoaks. As suggested you can also pick up an apron faily cheap. Novelty BBQ aprons are a big no no. OMG the mind boggles. You all know the apron I'm talking about.

Barra.

Josh,

Hmmmmm a leather worker asking for a premade leather apron.

WINDY

I now it's not right but I don't have the material.

I have a couple of the Harbor Freight aprons. One I have is a heavy green canvas and I have the blue denim. I prefer the heavy canvas when I work with machinery, it makes me feel alittle more secure as it is stiffer and goes not flap as much. The blue denim is also nice.

I would not be afraid of either allowing the dye to soak through faster than I could get it off if I poured it directly on it while I was wearing them. I think the canvas (since it is so heavy) would resist a much greater time.

I didn't pay but $3.99 or so for either.

Allen

Your going to get a little cold without anymore shirts, as the weather is changing here in Utah LOL. Try a local trade school store for a welding apron or a Bar supply for a Keg apron or those dang reproducing worse than rabbits, wal marts for $5.00 long sleeve tee shirts. :rofl:

I have a friend who loves to go to garage sales, anytime she sees an apron she picks one up for me. 25 to 50 cents a piece usually. I also made one for myself out of heavy chap leather but I don't wear it much because it was a bit stiffer than I realized. I even carved a yoke at the top. Plus the local hardware store should have some pretty cheap, too. Chris

Hey Jbird I know that on ebay lately there have been alot of scrap lots of decent size upholstery leather. This stuff would work great for making a apron, it may just be a little bit of a funky color but after a few years it wont be the same color anyways lol.

But if you got a sewing machine it may be worth taking a look at if you want one made out of leather.

thanks max I will check it out.

josh

I too just ruined another shirt with dye--- Don't you just hate it when that happens!! How 'bout when you drop a knife or something else that is sharp on your leg and cut your pants---Never mind the leg,---It heals. LOL

Now I just need to remember to put on my new apron.

Just finished building it out of 5 oz split suede. It is all I had on hand and ......If it saves two shirts, it will have paid for itself.

Attached is a pic of the Quickie Apron. It is a prototype.

Dale

sApron.jpg

post-8234-1231959937_thumb.jpg

Thanks for showing that dale I know were your coming from I have a hole in all most all of my jeans crap.

Josh

JBird~

I have to HF for more gloves for our guild and my shop. I don't mind getting you one of those denim apron and sending it to you! Consider it a random act of 'Badger' kindness. Just paying it forward.

Let me know.

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

~Remember to Stop & Strop~

I know I am kinda jumping in late here,,,

I would get my hands on an old, full length if possible, leather coat from a second hand store. If it has a hole, or is an ugly color/style, you should be able to buy it very cheap.

Make yourself an apron out of it.

and you get to recycle

Ok thank you all for the great input but as the say the show has ended I got a denim apron from Sam aka ATX for free he is a great guy and I am in his debt and I bought from Joe aka rcsaddles some mule hide for heavy apron for a amazing price and that having Been said I am out of the appron biz LOL thanks all

Josh

Hey Josh,

Funny thing about that mule hide. I had it for a couple of years and had not used it so I sold it to you. Within a couple of weeks, I had a guy show up with a project for me and guess what I needed for it? Yep, mule hide. I happened to have a piece that worked but it taught me to get rid of the extra stuff so more work comes in.

Thanks and I would like to see a pic of the apron you made from it when you get a chance.

Take care and God Bless.

Joe

I went to your site on etsy....how is that working out for you? I just recently heard of it this past week. Are you still in need of a leather apron?

Take care,

Chris

Josh

P.S. used or new.

I went to your site on etsy....how is that working out for you? I just recently heard of it this past week. Are you still in need of a leather apron?

Take care,

Chris

Chris

I am doing well on etsy I sent a more detailed report via pm to you.

As for the appron I think I got it covered thanks a bunch

Josh

Hey Josh,

Funny thing about that mule hide. I had it for a couple of years and had not used it so I sold it to you. Within a couple of weeks, I had a guy show up with a project for me and guess what I needed for it? Yep, mule hide. I happened to have a piece that worked but it taught me to get rid of the extra stuff so more work comes in.

Thanks and I would like to see a pic of the apron you made from it when you get a chance.

Take care and God Bless.

Joe

Joe

Glad I got to know you and work with you are a good guy, but I still don't have one of those rcsaddle hats LOL.

And I hope to work with you some more.

Take care God bless and live well

Josh