markush

How Durable Is Frog?

I picked up a couple frog skins and was thinking of using them on a holster as overlay trim pieces. One of the skins came with a couple of abrasions that wore through the surface on the grain side and makes me question it's durability. Was this skin handled extraordinarily rough at some point or is frog skin not all that durable?

same question here....??!!

Also picked up a nice but smaller as expected Bullfrog skin, nice tan color and texture...wonder if this is good only for show...or can a man make a wallet out of that...how about inlay on a chopper seat....will it stand up....what thread is good to sew that.....does it need a liner....lots of questions...where do I get nice big and affordable frogskin/leather???

Thanks, lets see if there are any frog people out there...

Thanks

James

G'Day,

Have a look at the 'Cane Toad' thread on here, and a few pics as well.

I would think they would be quite durable. I have had some of my customers that have shown me Cane Toad leather products like wallets, purses etc. that they bought 20 years ago. ( not from me). Although showing obvious signs of wear and tear, they looked quite good.

But I'm not sure how long they would last on heavy items like holsters etc.

HS:)

It's a very durable skin. I've used it on a number of applications, and would choose it before some of the other exotics.

There's also the "cool" factor. This was a holster and belt we made for a 9-year old a couple of years ago. His first "custom" holster and gun belt.

P22_KDholster_2417.jpg

kd_belt_buckle_4358.jpg

This one was done for an article that appeared in one of the gun mags.

DSCN01341.jpg

It's a very durable skin. I've used it on a number of applications, and would choose it before some of the other exotics.

There's also the "cool" factor. This was a holster and belt we made for a 9-year old a couple of years ago. His first "custom" holster and gun belt.

Looking at your holster it appears I may have received substandard skins? You'll see that a good many 'pustuales'? (or 'warts' as we used to call them as kids) on my skins had lost their top layer. They came to me like this and haven't deteriorated any further, even after wearing the holster almost daily for about a month now, but seeing the skins arrive like this is what made me concerned for their durability and start this thread.

I'm stuck with mail ordering so is there someplace I can be assured to get a quality skin or can you tell me what I should ask for when ordering...I'm not so sure asking for "skins without popped putuales" would be the best way to order?

e68e8db8.jpg

bd6b90e3.jpg

I would agree that your skins are lower quality. I got mine last time from a guy out in California. I can't think of his name right at this moment. He was in Santa Monica, but had moved to a new location. I want to say it was Jerry at Amburg(?) exotic skins. The cost was ~$20/skin. I'll go back through my invoices and see if I can find it for you.

I also bought a frog skin from Jerry at the IfolG show in Albuquerque. He has great knowledge of the skins he sells.

His website

http://vanamburgleathers.com/index.php -> click at wholesale leathers at the left under Links

Gesa

I had good luck with frog skins through John Fong Leather in San Francisco