LaurenS

Newbie Needs Some Help! Making A Western Bridle?

Hello all! I decided to join this forum because I want to make my own bridle and breast collar. Problem is, I don't know have any idea where to start. I've been perusing through articles online and have a list of things I'm probably going to need.

Strip and strap cutter

Stitch marker

Awl

Harness needles

Leather punch

Edge trimmer

Leather dye

Gum tragacanth (not sure what this does or if I even need it?)

Finish coat (not sure what to use for this, suggestions?)

Leather (What kind?? I heard 8-9 oz. and up to 13 oz. I plan on tooling it.. Heard veg tan but not sure.)

Buckles/conchos

Anything else I might need?

I'm going to Tandy Leather and getting a bunch of supplies, including a book on how to do this but wanted some tips first.

ANY input is greatly appreciated!

Hi Lauren

you'll hear a lot of rhetoric about what to buy. If your budget is ample you can get a lot of wonderful stuff.

Your list looks pretty good. However you neglected to include thread for your harness needles.

Leather if you plan to tool will need to be veg tanned. The thicker the leather the easier it is to tool imho.

Gum trag is a slicking agent. But you can do just as well with saddle soap sludge (grate a bit of saddle soap bar into warm water, shake until it's dissolved and looks like snot)

As for finishes I tend to go to Resolene, Bag Kote or even RTC.

You'll need to add to your list.

Hole punches

sand paper in grits 80, 150, 200, 400, etc. use this on your edges after you've trimmed and before you slick with Gum T or Saddle soap

A slicking wheel.

Dye. Start out with Fiebings Pro Oil... My fave color right now is Mahogany.

Daubers finish applicators OR

air brush for the best finish for less effort.

Rivet setter/snap setter

Buffing cloths

Pure neatsfoot oil

A good 16oz or larger mallet or maul (at the very least get the largest yellow head hammer you can find at tandy.)

Have fun shopping. Ask the Tandy people for help... most are good about directing you to the right products. But be cautious of the modern tandy craftools (crap tools) they aren't well made. Look at the pro ones there at Tandy... or buy used Craftool USA or.... get on Bob Beards or Barry King's sites.

Thank you so much! Where do you recommend buying leather from? I want to be sure I get good quality for a good price and not pay a bunch for crap just because I don't know enough. Thanks again!

many recommend Springfield Leather for Hermann Oak leather. They will even cut strips for you. My experience has been "Meh" so far but I've not bought HO leather from them.. No better, no worse than Tandy for the stuff I've bought. Friendly folks though!

Lauren,

If you have a Tandy close enought to you to visit it in person, you can probably pick out some good leather at a good price. Just look for a nice smooth grain surface that is big enough for the project you are making. You might also want some scraps to practice tooling on before starting on your bridle. All of the leather tools take some practice to get decent results from.

Bob

Lauren where are you located? maybe you could find someone in your area to help you get started