Ravenquille

Greetings from Ravenquille

Hi Everyone!

I am from PA, and a Beginner at Leatherwork. My only current experience in Leather is Design, Tooling, Staining and Painting of pre-cut Belts. I have not yet done any Leather Carving, but as I am an Artist, I would like to try that as well; using my own original Artwork.

I am interested in creating my own designs for relatively simple Celtic/Renaissance Faire items, and Gothic/Fetish type of items, such as:

wristbands, armbands, neckbands, wrist and arm gauntlets, waistbands, waistcinchers.

Also interested in doing some Mandala designs.

Glad I found this Forum, very interesting reading so far; and so full of wisdom and experience!

Thanks so much!

Ravenquille

Hi and Welcome to the board Ravenquille!!

Nice name, so happens that ravens are my favourite bird/animal!!!

Using own artwork is something many of us dream about, I think.

This board is very friendly and has all types of leatherworkers from novelty to expertise. Don't be afraid to ask questions, most people are very generous and take their time to answer them.

There is lot of stuff to be read about carving and most aspects is covered but it might be a little digging for you to find the goodies. Hm there are some stuff on youtube aswell but off course some digging to find it there aswell.

I have made a few bracers and for first ones I would recommend to string them together on the arms inside OR use a velcro type attacment if you need an overlapping design. That is if a very snug fit is required. Snaps is a bit tricky because you need to take into account how much extra you need to add because you loose some length when you wrap it around the arm. The thicker the leather the more you will loose.

Tom

Hi and Welcome to the board Ravenquille!!

Nice name, so happens that ravens are my favourite bird/animal!!!

Hi Tom,

Read your post right away, but just realized that I hadn't typed my response yet....

I love the ravens and crows too. I always talk to all of them, but actually have a mated pair and some of their offspring, who have become friends. They have not yet some closer than maybe a few feet above my head on a branch; but one or two of them will follow me around outside and will come to the tree near my bedroom window to greet me every morning.

When I discovered that many people had some interesting and creative Internet Nicknames, I decided to dream one up which described me. I created the name 'Ravenquille' for a number of symbolic reasons, not just because I love the bird. The raven is mysterious, intelligent, and intuitive. 'Raven' in English, is also used to describe hair; and my hair is black. The work 'quille' was also an instrument for writing in years past; so, I chose that word to reflect the fact that I am a poet/writer. I also thought it was a neat name to express my Cherokee Indian ancestry; but also nicely expresses the Irish ancestry, and things Celtic/Medieval ( Lady Ravenquille, or Ravenquille ).

Using own artwork is something many of us dream about, I think.

I am sure that is true. Everyone should try at least once in awhile!

This board is very friendly and has all types of leatherworkers from novelty to expertise. Don't be afraid to ask questions, most people are very generous and take their time to answer them.

There is lot of stuff to be read about carving and most aspects is covered but it might be a little digging for you to find the goodies. Hm there are some stuff on youtube aswell but off course some digging to find it there aswell.

Yes, I have been reading and digging. Thanks for the YouTube tip, I will check that out too. I hadn't thought to look for leather subjects ( too busy listening to music, and looking for funny stuff, lol )

I have made a few bracers and for first ones I would recommend to string them together on the arms inside OR use a velcro type attacment if you need an overlapping design. That is if a very snug fit is required. Snaps is a bit tricky because you need to take into account how much extra you need to add because you loose some length when you wrap it around the arm. The thicker the leather the more you will loose.

So, you think that velcro and lacing is easier to get the fit right ( snug ), unless someone has some practice using the snap or strap/buckle kind of closure?

( I saw some gauntlets which went from wrist to nearly elbow, that I really liked; and was wondering if I could make them. ( Black with silver eyelets, and laced up the front of the arm. ) I don't know how they were made on sides and back; which made me wonder exactly how the snug fit was being made possible. I am guessing the leather was soft and thinner, rather than stiff and thicker, though.

Ravenquille

Welcome to the site there are great people here and some really good artists .I however do not claim to be one of them ,LOL!! I do leather gear for professional carriers,SASS members and folks that like handmade equipment.They are helpful to everyone here.