Ran

Surprise For My Brother-In-Law

My BIL Larry is a terrific guy. I was with him and my sister the other day when he remarked about the belt I was wearing. I told him that I had made it myself. Larry is not the kind of guy to ask me to build something for him, but I've known him a long time and can tell when he really likes something. So I built this belt and shipped it to my sister to give to him for Christmas. Larry is not a gun guy, but he liked the 'beefy' characteristics of my gun belt. I hope he likes this one!

Disregard the holster...I just added it to the pic for effect

DSCN6421_zps4f060080.jpg

DSCN6418_zpsd6918db1.jpg

Good work as usual, . . .

Keep inspiring the rest of us.

May God bless,

Dwight

Always enjoy looking at your work, well done!

Nice belt! From experience there is a mass appeal for a quality belt that reaches far outside of the gun culture. Then only downside is all that edging :)

Now that's a belt! Great job Ran, your BIL is going to love it.

Ran,

Nice looking belt! Your Brother-in-law will love it. What are the specs on the belt? Is it 1.5" wide and what weight did you use for the outside and the inside lining? I just realized how light the color for the lining is. How do you get it so light? I get a darker color just by not dying and putting some neatsfoot oil on. You must have some super secret to get the light color.

Gosh....thanks for the kind remarks, folks!

Vaalpens...its roughly 9oz outside and 4-5oz inside. I sometimes dye the inside lining, and sometimes I don't. This time, I just left the lining natural and that's how it turned out. It s 1.5" (a tick under, actually). Honestly, I'm not particularly fond of making belts. As was said above by Eaglestroker, its a LOT of edge work!! But for my BIL, it was worth it... :).

Merry Christmas everyone!

Randy

Edited by Ran

Gosh....thanks for the kind remarks, folks!

Vaalpens...its roughly 9oz outside and 4-5oz inside. I sometimes dye the inside lining, and sometimes I don't. This time, I just left the lining natural and that's how it turned out. It s 1.5" (a tick under, actually). Honestly, I'm not particularly fond of making belts. As was said above by Eaglestroker, its a LOT of edge work!! But for my BIL, it was worth it... :).

Merry Christmas everyone!

Randy

Randy, thanks for the information. I have not made a belt yet, but it is one of those things I still need to try out. First of all I need to a big enough piece of leather for the belt and the lining. I still do hand stitching, so stitching will take some time depending on the length of the belt. I just have a couple of more questions. What size punch do you use for the holes, and what do you use to cut the leather.

Thanks

Charl

Charl,

For the holes, I like to use a 3/16" round. I've also used a 7/32" oblong, but I prefer the round.

As for cutting the leather, I'm a long time woodworker/cabinet maker/furniture builder,so I'm big on building jigs. I simply cut my belts from a side of leather using a utility knife, and for the straight edge I have made myself a 48" X 1.5"- template made of 1/4" plywood. I've also made 1/4" plywood jigs for each end of the belt for marking holes and the slot for the buckle.

Oh boy, handstitching. A tip of the hat to you! I hand-stitched for about 2 months and then said 'enough!' Stitchers are expensive, but OH do I love my CB4500!

Hope that helps. Any other questions, please fee free to ask...:)

Nice job on the belt Ran! If you're cutting your blanks with a utility knife I suggest you give a strap cutter a try. For around $20 you'd be amazed at the amount of time you can save.

Best regards, Josh

Nicely done. Do you cut both halves to 1 1/2 then cement?

Try a rotary cutter, 60mm fiskars, awesome.

How did you do the keeper? Do you skive the ends at all where the buckle is?

Thanks for the tip, Josh!

J Hayes...yes, I cut both halves then cement. I make the keeper from 7-8oz and staple the ends together. I also have a little template for the keepers too. It creates that nice, uniform shape. I used to skive the buckle end, but now I just stop short with the lining, thereby creating a more thin end. As you can tell, though, I like a very stout belt.. They are really for hanging a holster, but one can wear them for whatever..

I like a stout belt too. Also like that stout buckle, nice.

Pardon my ignorance here but the staples, are you using a P35 type or something else?

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy...I just use T50 staples (3/8"), butt the ends of the keeper, mark the holes using the staple, make holes with an awl, push the staples through the holes, then bend the ends over with a needle nose pliers. Its all hand work. No stapler involved. They hold up very well..

Randy

Nice! I happen to have a whole box of stainless ones.

Thanks

Jeremy