Sign in to follow this  
wayner123

How do I roughen the back of the leather?

Hey all,

I have some vintage leather that the knapp on the back is very smooth. I mean it is slick as the front. I was looking at getting a leather rougher to help when I need to laminate/glue the pieces of it. Is there any homemade rougher or cheaper version than the $50 Tandy leather rougher?

I was thinking of a wire dog hair brush, but I have yet to use that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sandpaper?

Johanna

I use a file cleaner brush sometimes. But as Johanna said sandpaper works just as well, and I have a tendency of using that more than the brush.

a metal brush-type scraper normally used to remove rust from tools- any hardware store has them, perhaps under $1 or $2

I use the wire brushes they sell at Harbor Freight or the welding suppliers. They cost about $1.50.

That thing is $36 club and $26.50 reseller at Tandy. However in a pinch a hedghog will do, just don't hurt the little fellow. Steel wool from the hardware store works too.

Art

Hey all,

I have some vintage leather that the knapp on the back is very smooth. I mean it is slick as the front. I was looking at getting a leather rougher to help when I need to laminate/glue the pieces of it. Is there any homemade rougher or cheaper version than the $50 Tandy leather rougher?

I was thinking of a wire dog hair brush, but I have yet to use that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I use one of those wire fox tail brushes for cleanning rust off of metal to rough up leather.

As usual Jo is right-on with sandpaper. I use 80 grit wet/dry sandpaper to prep for glue-ups. (Belt lining, etc.) It makes short work of roughing up a smooth leather surface. If you want less rough use a finer grit. Any sandpaper will work but for prepping a glue-up I don't mess around - 80 grit gets it done. Just do it and drive-on. Use finer grit to true up the edges and even finer to start a burnish. Ultra-fine will burnish in a heartbeat! - 2000 grit. Leather sands better (fast)if it's damp and there won't be much if any dust you might inhale. That's why I use wet/dry. Available at you local hardware or home improvement center. Keep it in order using manila folders. Start off with a couple of assortment packs until you figure out what works for you. It has a lot more use that that expensive callus remover you buy from a leathercraft supply. Sanding sponges are also an options. I even use steel wool to remove marks and blemishes. It's pretty inexpensive and awful handy to have around in my limited experience. Good luck with which ever you choose.

Edited by Billsotx

This is what i use for roughing leather Stanly tru form

Works faster the anything, dont have to have sand paper laying around, i use it for all glueing and such

Wow, that's a lot of options. I think I will try the wire brush and the sandpaper. I really need to get a good knapp, so I don't think the sandpaper is going to do the best job. But I can't knock it till I tried it.

Thanks to all who answered.

That lil rasp I posted can rasp right through leather in a hurry so if you need it knpped i would reccomend you try it. I used to use sandpaper and it worked great for glueing ect but cost and effect that rasp beats it hands down

This is what i use for roughing leather Stanly tru form

Works faster the anything, dont have to have sand paper laying around, i use it for all glueing and such

I found this very same tool the other day at Sears, where it was marketed by Empire...$5.00. Certainly good to have on hand, even though the $30-$40 specialized tool may be without peer.

Ed

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot, Tru-Value etc and get one of those sanding sponges for prepping painted and lacquered surfaces. I use them a lot and they last a year or so and they $1.00 at a Dollar General store here!

They llok like a dish sponge with sandpaper on the outside.