Leather Bum

Wanting to Learn Braiding and Whipmaking

What would you all recommend as really good books to learn whip making as well as other types of braiding? My brother is interested in learning this fascinating art and would like to get some books to study.

Any other suggestions for helpful resources to get into this would also be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Micah

Bruce Grant's encyclopedia of rawhide and leather braiding will teachhim a wide range of the skills, knots and a few braiding projects forwhip making in very basic constructions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Encyclopedia-Rawhide-Leather-Braiding-Bruce/dp/0870331612/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1262009271&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Ron edwards, I do not own, but are highly recommended and I do want some of them myself. heres another link

http://www.shoemakingbook.com/Ron%20Edwards.htm

Also David morgan does a few books on whip making which I have one of, but I do not think it's all that worth while compared to the others out there.

Hope that helps a bit

What would you all recommend as really good books to learn whip making as well as other types of braiding? My brother is interested in learning this fascinating art and would like to get some books to study.

Any other suggestions for helpful resources to get into this would also be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Micah

Ron Edwards - "How To Make Whips" is a good primer.

Simon Martin -Martin Whips and Bernie W. - EM Brand Whips each have some pretty good tutorials and CDs available.

Encyclopaedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant will keep you busy with knots and braiding. His whip example

leaves a lot to be desired.

David Morgans books "Braiding Fine Leather" will give you some nice projects and good tips that can be applied to whip making.

His "Whips and Whipmaking" is not really a how-to book.

Gail Hought has some excellent books on braiding that have some of the best illustrations going.

Mike Murphy and Peter Jack also have some good tutorials.

If he is serious, in addition to the books make sure he gets good equipment and tools. Don't 'half-step' when it comes to tools. Sure you can

make a fine whip with nothing more than a sharp pocket knife, but you better have some idea of what you want to accomplish and a darn steady hand. Whipmaking differs from other plaiting mainly because the strands are tapered and they are of different lengths and need to be 'dropped' into the plaiting to give the whip the proper taper and balance. It is definately a little more involved than making a 4 strand dog leash. So get him the right tools and the books and then practice.

Good luck,

Jerry

I have an extra copy of Bruce Grant's braiding book (the one that Tandy sells) if you are interested.

Happy Holidays!

Which book is this extra one, the "Leather Braiding" or theEncyclopedia one? It seems that Tandy offers both. I have the smaller Leather Braiding paperback, butam looking to buy the "Encyclopedia of Rawhide/Leather Braiding"

I have an extra copy of Bruce Grant's braiding book (the one that Tandy sells) if you are interested.

Happy Holidays!

Leather braiding book....sorry.

Thank you so much, everyone, for the suggestions and recommendations. I appreciate it very much!

Also, thanks for the offer, King's X; I think I already have that book, though.

Micah