Laurie

How To Get Spray Paint Off Leather?

Hey y'all. Any suggestions on how to remove automotive spray primer from a pair of chaps? It's not a small spot, the guy used the chap leg, smooth grain outward, as a masking deal and the whole lag almost is solid primer grey! I need to remove that primer hopefully without pulling up the leather dye. then I will re-condition the leather. Any experienced answers will be very helpful and apreciated (sp), as I can guess alot of ways to try to do this myself, but I don't want to keep experimenting with different chemicals on the old leather.

Hey y'all. Any suggestions on how to remove automotive spray primer from a pair of chaps? It's not a small spot, the guy used the chap leg, smooth grain outward, as a masking deal and the whole lag almost is solid primer grey! I need to remove that primer hopefully without pulling up the leather dye. then I will re-condition the leather. Any experienced answers will be very helpful and apreciated (sp), as I can guess alot of ways to try to do this myself, but I don't want to keep experimenting with different chemicals on the old leather.

The auto primer could be lacquer based, solvent/water. Either way, I think you have a nice chap painted gray.

ferg

You might try some acetone. If you try make sure your outside because it has a power strong smell and it and the fumes will burn.

acetone will pull up the dye.

You might try some acetone. If you try make sure your outside because it has a power strong smell and it and the fumes will burn.

I would use acetone, but, I hate chaps! If using acetone and it makes it lighter in dye, then, acetone the whole pair using the same rags to spread the colorful glory all around. Then, seal it with the appropriate sealer you use for your leather working fun! Or, redye, then, seal!, after using acetone to semi remove the primer. The only time I use chaps, are when it is pretty cold, and I got my michelin man suit on, then chaps over that. But, that is only motocycle use! If you all are talking about horse riding chaps, I am lost, and I would quickly fall/fly off of a horse, even at a slow pace and no bouncing!!! Seriously, horses rule, and I am not worthy of riding one.