Otto6294

Ruger Vaquero Holster And Belt

My wife bought me a pair of .45 long colts for my birthday.(What a woman!) I have been an elementary and middle school art teacher for 24 years. I have done many things and have lots of hobbies, but leather work wasn't one of them. I looked at tons of holsters and decided I would try to make my own. I went to Tandy last Thursday and bought a side of 8-9 oz veg tan and a side of 4-5 oz. veg tan and 11 stamping tools and a few other tools. I sketched a few oak leaves on copy paper and cut them out to use as stencils. I laminated the leather with contact cement, tooled the leather, oil dyed, finished edges, etc. I have one holster to go yet. They are turning out very nice. I have plans for a scabbard for a rifle, a back quiver for traditional archery, a chest holster, and saddlebags for my Harley.

IMG_9532_zps8isjlpsk.jpg

Otto looks like a nice cowboy rig. I like the color and the oak leaves look nice. I stitching looks very well done to.

I'd say your art background has served you well that rig looks great. Nice wrok. Now you have to get her something spectacular for her birthday, this could get expensive especially if you try to out do each other. Great guns and a nice looking holster rig.

Stu

Otto...You've got some serious skills...Awesome for someone just buying tools and all last week...Dang that's nice!

45 long colts...Wow!

Those are some really nice cannon's.

Spread the lead. lol

Wow! What a beautiful rig. You did a fine job on it. You definitely have some skills in art and leather.

What everybody said, plus the one thing not mentioned. Looks like you are catching the "bug", be careful, it is addictive ! LOL

Enjoy your leatherworking journey.

Bob

If I had that skill set after a week there is no way she would be getting something I purchased. I'd be making her something from leather.

That's one nice rig and a spectacular way to honor something your wife gave you.

Agreed that your art background shows through. A little bit of chatter on the beveler but for a first project, that is astounding.

Thanks everyone.The last thing I made from leather was a back quiver in 2008 for hunting whitetails with my longbow. Nothing but an awl and a bag of scraps sewn together with 2 carbon shafts sandwiched in to stiffen it. The window allows you to draw arrows out of the bottom from under your arm.

Quiver09-1.jpg

It works good.

LongbowDoe_e-mail.jpg

Before that in 1995, I made my father a muzzle loader hunting bag from a small bundle of leather I bought at a rendezvous.....again nothing but an awl. That is the extent of my leather work.

Possibles%20Bag%20Post_zpswqiaewiv.jpg

Hey resqman.....What is beveler chatter? Rough edges?,... uneven?.......I think I bought the wrong edge beveler. The guy at the shop told me it's the one I need, but if I really get on it, it peels quite a strip. I think it is a #4 rounder. Not a flat edger. I think I should have got a #2.

Thanks,

Otto

Don't know if this is the right place to show off hunting trophies...

Hmmmmm........a site dedicated to the creation of items constructed from animal skins. Interesting. However, being new here I will heed your advice and discontinue the practice.

I enjoyed seeing your picture of hunting success. Nice picture. Keep them coming!!!

Yea, what is "wrong" with showing hunting trophies??

I have no idea, but I did manage to finish that holsters brother today and I edge coated the entire rig and oiled the inside of the belt and holsters. As soon as they are good and dry, I am going to shoot them with some leather sheen and call them finished. I think I figured out what edge chatter is. It must be the uneven edge around my tooling design. I did have a little trouble keeping my edge beveler in line and I had a pathetic hammer I was using before my new mallet came in. I must have rolled that hammer off my tool and smacked my knuckles a hundred times.

Look forward to seeing it!

Can't wait to see the finished rig. As for the "hunting trophies" pics, I see nothing wrong with the picture especially since you harvested it using leatherwork that you created yourself. Maybe it was a bit off topic but really, who cares? I always enjoy seeing what other hunters have harvested so feel free to post all the pictures you want.

Stu

Finished and edge coated everything. Shot and hand buffed leather sheen. I learned another valuable lesson. I ran out of medium brown dye. I ordered another bottle and my second holster is noticeably more brown and less red than the belt and first holster. Must have enough dye to do entire project! Maybe it will redden up a bit yet, but I doubt it.

IMG_9561_zpswsjtqdv7.jpg

IMG_9565_zpsmszmj7wx.jpg

Oh and this rig squeaks when I walk like a fat, sweaty guy in a leather recliner.

I forgot it still needs leg tie downs.....crap.

Another shot

IMG_9570_zpsaefw9f1q.jpg

Those turned out absolutely beautiful! Love them!

Beautiful work.

I have hunted a number of things all over this country. I have killed them with rifle, pistol, and bow. But I have not "pulled the trigger" on an animal for over twenty years. One has the right to hunt and I will back you.

However, I do not want to turn this site into a photo gallery of all things killed however sporting it may be.

I am a little sad every time I take a life, but I use every bit of the animal I can. My wife and daughters love venison, The local game warden has tanned a few hides for me. My Dad turns 76 in May and we have bow hunted every year since 1981. I'll not argue with anyone about this, but to an animal rights activist, this sight is indeed a photo gallery of all things killed.

Otto

Man they look good, great work. Don't be surprised when your shooting buddies start asking you to build rigs for them. There must be a way to stop the squeaking but I'm not sure what it is, I have a chest holster I built to wear while hunting that squeaks like that too so I'd be very interested in how to stop that if anyone has any ideas.

Stu