Ex smoker been cig free for 3.5 yrs, with help from vape. I have been wanting to do this for awhile now, and literally flew through this little project in a little less than 2 hrs, but let the leather dry overnight.

post-60097-0-34699000-1428875040_thumb.j

Nice job, although it looks like the lining up of the basketweave got away from you a little. Better than I've done with it though. ;)

I like it, nice job!

Is that a home-made mod and what tank is on that thing?

The mod is 30 watt variable "cloudpor" and the tank is a Kanger. I've only had this setup about a month now (did have a mech mod") but so far so good. The mod has 2 pretty strong magnets that hold the battery access panel on. The only problem is if you put it into the holster backwards than how it was formed the friction fit is pretty tight and it tends to pull the battery panel off getting it out.i have started remembering to put the tank at the rear of the holster and there is no problems that way.

Hey Avion, nice job! One piece of advice I have is to overlap your basket weave tool instead of trying match it up to the previous stamp,This will eliminate the guess work and ensure you have a straight line every time. Hope this helps! Again good job! That molding looks great! :)http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQcH2A6wxgc

Like the vertical wallet you recently posted, I like the way you're using this stamp here too. No overlap combined with the longer profile of this stamp gives the weave a whole new look for me and I'm real glad you shared it with us.

I'm running a nemesis mech that has a rather clumsy switch on the very bottom (it is the bottom) so the typical drop-in holster idea is out of the question. I had the thing firing away in my front pocket once -NOT FUN- so I think I'm going to experiment with a side strapping holster design that stays clear of the switch.

The mod I was using before this was a bottom fire, swore I will never use a bottom fire again. As far as the basket weave layout...I just made another wallet and used the traditional overlap. I like it as well, but I also like that extended look. When I finish I will post some pics. About half way through stitching it up and then need to spit and polish.

I agree that the extended basketweave is a neat look, it may just take some fiddling to get it to the point where it really gels together. Have you thought about going back with a pointed tool and compressing the lines where they meet? That's really the bit that stands out to me (aside from that spot where it's angled slightly differently so the two lines cross each other). On something this small, it shouldn't take toooooo much longer and the look might be worth the effort.

When using this camouflage tool around the border....I have a question. I am not happy at all with turning a corner, and thinking of trying a different strategy. What if I do all the corners first, stamping the first impression at a 45* angle? What is the proper technique?

Oh yeah, those corners...You can have some fun with it, practice with scrap and see if you can make some different shapes or just leaving the corner a bit blank, like that top left corner? I think it would have looked better without that last stamp going straight up even though it would have left a blank space.

You are right on about that last stamp....I get that maul in my hand and I go stupid! I need to force myself to stop, and every move be deliberate with forethought. I am finally figuring that out.

You know that saying about when you're a hammer the world looks like a nail... ;)

One of the key things I learned in my art classes was to know when to stop messing with the thing you're working on, get up and walk around a bit then come back and look at it with fresh eyes. Hard to do when you're in the groove, but sometimes essential.

I agree with GD, nothing wrong with trying your own thing.

In my perfect world, every corner ends up with two full camo impressions, one nice and square on either side with a seeder dot filling the nook in the middle and then there's a parade for me every Saturday afternoon. On my off days, I try to adjust my spacing oh so slightly as I approach a corner so I get a full impression and if not, I'll lean the stamp for a half strike in the corner and start the next run out of the corner with a full stamp over lapping that half one. This way, I get at least one full face strike 'on top' at each corner and in lieu of the parade, I'll bust out the ice cream. Yah, I'm new at least and having fun with it too.

.....One of the key things I learned in my art classes was to know when to stop messing with the thing you're working on, get up and walk around a bit then come back and look at it with fresh eyes. Hard to do when you're in the groove, but sometimes essential.

Exactly the same deal here and thank goodness my professors forced me to do that! Many times they'd see me in a trance, tongue sticking out, hunched over a mangled armature as I'm wrenching a way to make it 'just so' and they'd tap me on the shoulder and say 'hey Mike, step back a minute and let's have a look there'.......'hhhhmmm, that handle there, that looks a little 'forced' dontcha think?' ......'you don't want that to looked 'forced' now do you?'.....'well, ok, if you're going to do it 'that way' then you bloody better go 'all the way' with it (jackass)........... :)

Edited by Wicked Welts

Hah! That sounds like my professor who would admonish us "Don't let it get precious to you!"